Setting up 2013 lessons

Discussions about the Lesson Schedules Tool
mnmpeterson

Post by mnmpeterson »

Hummmm it's December and we still can't enter lessons for 2013. I'm trying to get people in my stake to use this tool rather than create a lesson schedule calendar. I'm afraid people won't use the tool if they can't enter lessons for next year by now.
Oh well, maybe next year.
jla59

Post by jla59 »

mnmpeterson wrote:Hummmm it's December and we still can't enter lessons for 2013. I'm trying to get people in my stake to use this tool rather than create a lesson schedule calendar. I'm afraid people won't use the tool if they can't enter lessons for next year by now.
Oh well, maybe next year.

According to ldsapphelp, it is a known limitation that you cannot enter Lessons in advance of the current year. Looking at the app today shows that you can start creating Lessons for 2013. After adding the 2013 Elders' class, the 2013 Lesson schedule did not autopopulate; every week in 2013 said "New Lesson". I would suggest that after Jan 1, make all your updates and then announce that the Lesson Schedules are available online.
dgpapenfuss

Can't make 2013 lessons - new classes are not shown

Post by dgpapenfuss »

jdlessley wrote:An update to Lesson Schedules will have to be rolled out for us to do anything for 2013. We cannot currently see 2013 events even though the application appears to allow us to add them. We cannot add classes for 2013. Only 2012 classes are available at this point. I would expect that the update to allow us to begin work on 2013 events and classes will include a way to postpone events without using the currently defined method.

Same for me, when I added a new class called Relief Society 2013, it didn't show up on the list to activate it. My guess is that scroll bar needs to be added so I can scroll down to see the new class. Or, I don't have permission to see the new class. HURRY - people are needing to add classes for 2013.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

Any apparent capability to add classes for 2013 on the current Lesson Schedules is erroneous. Naming a class with the year 2013 will not make it available in the year 2013.

The update to Lesson Schedules is now in beta. You can go to the beta site and see what is in development. They are trying to get the update rolled out shortly. According to a church employee, getting the new youth curriculum in has been more challenging than anticipated.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
jla59

Post by jla59 »

jdlessley wrote:Any apparent capability to add classes for 2013 on the current Lesson Schedules is erroneous. Naming a class with the year 2013 will not make it available in the year 2013.

The update to Lesson Schedules is now in beta. You can go to the beta site and see what is in development. They are trying to get the update rolled out shortly. According to a church employee, getting the new youth curriculum in has been more challenging than anticipated.

In Add Class, 2013 does show up in the year dropdown list and lesson manuals update to 2013 manuals. But after the schedule is created, you can only see 2013 in the weekly view and not in the manage class schedules, which shows just the current year.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

jla59 wrote:In Add Class, 2013 does show up in the year dropdown list and lesson manuals update to 2013 manuals. But after the schedule is created, you can only see 2013 in the weekly view and not in the manage class schedules, which shows just the current year.
The "Add Class" page is the same page used by both the current Lesson Schedules and the beta. It has been updated to support the beta functionality. While it appears in the current Lesson Schedules it is not functional. That is what I meant when I said any apparent capability to add classes for 2013 on the current Lesson Schedules is erroneous. You will note that the new youth curriculum does not appear in the current Lesson Schedules. That is an important update not showing in the current Lesson Schedules.

If you would like to see the functionality of the next release of Lesson Schedules you can take a look at the beta version now in testing.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
kmysail

Amen

Post by kmysail »

mscollins wrote:I spent the last hour entering the lessons for High Priests, Elders and Relief Society for 2013. I had to enter the very same lesson schedule 3 separate times since there was no apparent way to copy one to the other groups. (There is an idea for a future release feature.) Then I find out that even though it looks like the lesson schedules were being saved that, in reality, they were not and no 2013 scheduling is yet available.

Why do I have to find this out on the Tech Forum after wasting all that effort? Shouldn't there be a simple banner warning in the Lesson Schedule section to save folks the wasted time and effort I just experienced? If this is happening across the church there is a lot of wasted time and effort occurring.

That sounds painful
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Setting up 2013 lessons

Post by russellhltn »

With the release of Lesson 2.0, the 2013 classes can now be entered.
krhodes

Post by krhodes »

I tried last week to set up a lesson schedule for our RS for 2013 and it appeared to work but now I can't even find RS on my list of organizations. Any idea what happened? I think I did this just before the notice came out that we could begin posting lessons for 2013.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

krhodes wrote:I tried last week to set up a lesson schedule for our RS for 2013 and it appeared to work but now I can't even find RS on my list of organizations. Any idea what happened? I think I did this just before the notice came out that we could begin posting lessons for 2013.
Prior to the 2.0 release there was a period of time that the module for the "Manage Class Schedules" page was being used for both the Lesson Schedules 1.0 and for the beta test. This gave the appearance that you could set up classes for 2013 when you couldn't. All the work you did was never really created. By the way, the "Manage Class Schedules" page in version 1.0 is "Administration" in version 2.0
JD Lessley

Return to “Lesson Schedules”