Calendaring across Stake Boundaries

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
dotson98

Calendaring across Stake Boundaries

Post by dotson98 »

Hello-

We have two wards who met together in a building. The building has been declared unsafe and will be demolished. One ward is now meeting in another building in our stake, but the other ward is meeting in the Stake Center for another stake.

Does anyone know how scheduling the building will work? Can it work across Stake boundaries?

Thanks,

Dan
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Yes, it will work. The agent stake will have to add that unit to that location. DO NOT create a new location in your non-agent stake.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
dotson98

Post by dotson98 »

Agent Stake would be the other Stake, right?

Also, if our ward's Bishop is the Agent Bishop, can our ward manage the resource scheduling (assuming that the unit has been added properly)?
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

dotson98 wrote:Agent Stake would be the other Stake, right?
Yes for the situation described in the OP.
dotson98 wrote:Also, if our ward's Bishop is the Agent Bishop, can our ward manage the resource scheduling (assuming that the unit has been added properly)?
Is this a separate situation from the one described in the OP? Also from this statement I gather you are not using the calendar as it is intended using the distributed scheduling model. Instead it sounds like you are using a single point of scheduling.

With the distributed scheduling model, resources are booked by events and each ward creates events in their ward calendars. The building scheduler creates reservations, which really are restrictions as to which unit can schedule events using rooms set aside for that unit. The stake can assign any stake member as a building scheduler. However, a person from a unit that meets at the location is usually the best choice. Our stake assigns a person from the agent bishop's ward as the building scheduler.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

dotson98 wrote:Also, if our ward's Bishop is the Agent Bishop, can our ward manage the resource scheduling (assuming that the unit has been added properly)?
Typically units all handle their own scheduling. Only the Agent stake's Building Scheduler can set scheduling restrictions (confusingly called "Reservations" in the calendar system.)

But as long as you aren't trying to use one person to schedule activities for all of the units, it should work fine.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

jdlessley wrote:The stake can assign any stake member as a building scheduler. However, a person from a unit that meets at the location is usually the best choice.

But in the case of a building that belongs to another stake (the agent stake) the building scheduler must come from the agent stake. The building scheduler cannot be a member of another stake that is using the building.

However, note that any calendar administrator or editor in the ward can create all the events they need and book the building as part of those events. Reservations would very rarely be needed, but if they are needed, you would have work with the building scheduler in the agent stake to create them.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

aebrown wrote:But in the case of a building that belongs to another stake (the agent stake) the building scheduler must come from the agent stake.
In post #1 the two wards involved in moving appeared to be wards other than his own. Then in post #3 he is talking about his ward in the second paragraph. I assumed one of the wards moved in to his ward's meetinghouse. I made the assumption that he was discussing a different issue other than for the ward meeting in a meetinghouse in another stake. That is why I asked if it was a separate situation from the one about the ward using the meeting house in the other stake.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
dotson98

Post by dotson98 »

I understand now. When I said "our ward" I meant the ward that belongs to our stake who is attending in another stake.

I guess having a building scheduler is technically not needed anymore, except when you have someone who would like to schedule something and doesn't have a computer.

But it is clear that the only person who can put in "reservations" are someone from the agent stake. Which means that even if our ward is the Agent Bishop, the building scheduler would need to be a member of the host stake.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

dotson98 wrote:I guess having a building scheduler is technically not needed anymore, except when you have someone who would like to schedule something and doesn't have a computer.

Even for that purpose you don't need someone to fill the "building scheduler" role as it currently exists in the calendar application. All you need is someone who can add events to the calendars. That is probably a calendar administrator (since he/she can add events to any public ward calendars). Although it may well seem counter-intuitive, a building scheduler can't add any events at all (unless given an additional editor/administrator role), and a building scheduler can never add events to a ward calendar for a ward they don't happen to belong to.

So I would recommend for your situation what I recommend for every ward: assign at least one person (optimally a calendar administrator) to be the person that people call when they need help scheduling an event. That administrator can put the event on an appropriate ward calendar.
dotson98 wrote:But it is clear that the only person who can put in "reservations" are someone from the agent stake. Which means that even if our ward is the Agent Bishop, the building scheduler would need to be a member of the host stake.

That is correct.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.

Return to “Calendar”