Uploading Photos of Other Members - BAD IDEA

Discussions about the Ward Directory and Map tool on churchofjesuschrist.org.
ksroberts

Uploading Photos of Other Members - BAD IDEA

Post by ksroberts »

A few posts have asked how to post photos of others within their organization.

Within my own stake, I have seen a push to get personal information online.

However, the posting of photos, phone numbers, and email addresses must remain a decision for each family and individual.

No photo, email, or other personal information should be posted without the permission of that family/individual. It may be frustrating when ward members are slow to update their information, however, this should not be forced or overly pushed. Some (like me) are likely to rebel.

Privacy must come first.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

As for photos, the help file make it clear that one should have the permission to post it. I would expect that it would be obtained when the photo is taken.

Updating contact information can only be done by a Bishopric member or Membership clerk. Presumably they would understand how the member wanted that information distributed.

Note that in all cases a login is required. And except for CHQ, no one outside of the stake can see it.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lisaan
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by lisaan »

Additionally, after member information is posted the member can go in and set the privacy flag: stake, ward or leadership only.
QA Engineer
ksroberts

Post by ksroberts »

Someone actually reads the Help files? Hmmm.. I need to repent.
ksroberts

Post by ksroberts »

I did something amazing -- I peeked at the Help files.

I see there are 10 ward positions with the abiltiy to edit photos. There are an additional 12 Stake positions that can edit other profile information.

https://ue.ldschurch.org/ldsapphelp/dir ... es.htm#top

Therefore, it seems appropriate to remind wards and stakes that photos should not be uploaded by these administrators without the agreement of the member. Nor should members feel pressured to agree.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

ksroberts wrote:Therefore, it seems appropriate to remind wards and stakes that photos should not be uploaded by these administrators without the agreement of the member. Nor should members feel pressured to agree.

You make good points. However, those specific points are already clearly spelled out in the Data Privacy Laws section of Managing Directory Photos help. What are you hoping for beyond that?
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

aebrown wrote:However, those specific points are already clearly spelled out in the Data Privacy Laws section of Managing Directory Photos help.
Each time a user uploads a photo or photos they are presented the upload guidelines which includes the privacy statement.
All individuals in the photo have given their consent to its posting. If an individual is a minor, the minor's parent or legal guardian must grant consent.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
Gary_Miller

Post by Gary_Miller »

In my opinion its best to just let individuals up load their own photos.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

Gary_Miller wrote:In my opinion its best to just let individuals up load their own photos.
I agree when they are able or capable. Even within a household, minors can't upload their own photo. The ability for administrators to upload photos is the only way for most adults to get photos in the directory when they are not able or capable. Unfortunately the issue in this thread is the zeal of those with administrator rights who are not following guidance.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
Gary_Miller

Post by Gary_Miller »

jdlessley wrote:Even within a household, minors can't upload their own photo.
Then Mom or Dad can help them.
jdlessley wrote:The ability for administrators to upload photos is the only way for most adults to get photos in the directory when they are not able or capable.
These adults that need help then can ask for it.
jdlessley wrote:Unfortunately the issue in this thread is the zeal of those with administrator rights who are not following guidance.
Which happens when leaders make it the responsibility of someone other than the individual to get photos loaded up for the whole ward.

Return to “Ward Directory and Map”