View Year doesn't work from week view for 2013

Beta Lesson Schedules Website feedback
mevans

View Year doesn't work from week view for 2013

Post by mevans »

Advancing through the weekly schedule, when I click on View Year to the right of a weekly lesson, once I get to 2013, the link doesn't work.

The only way I can get to View Year for 2013 is via the Manage Lesson Schedules link. View Year from there works.

I'm using Firefox Windows 16.0.2. They both show they are going to the same URL. I suspect something's messed up in the HTML, but haven't had the time to investigate.
lisaan
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by lisaan »

You're on the main page, right? I ran into this last week but couldn't duplicate it. Hmmm. Thanks for making us think. (Reference 398).
QA Engineer
mevans

Post by mevans »

Yes, here's where I'm at: https://www.lds.org/rclesson/?lang=eng#
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

There are two options that must be checked to view the classes in 2013 from the Lesson Schedules home page.

First, the classes you created for 2013 must be set as active on the Manage Class Schedules page. Then, on the Lesson Schedules home page as the advance button is clicked to progress into the first Sunday of 2013, the class must be checked in the Class column on the right. By default no classes are selected.

I can see this being a problem for users going from one year to the follow year the first time. The classes in 2013 are not linked to the 2012 classes. So progressing from 2012 to 2013 requires the additional step of selecting the class from the Class column to have it listed in the first column.

I recommend adding a feature that prompts the user to select the classes to view in the Class column when the user first navigates into the 2013 year. Without a prompt many users are going to think there are no classes scheduled for 2013. The more clever users will think to scan the page and see the classes listed in the Class column. But I doubt everyone will see the need to select classes to view them since in their minds they had already done that when they first went to Lesson Schedules in 2012.

An option for programming is to automatically select the classes for viewing. Have all classes set for viewing and the user then must deselect the classes they do not want to view. Or, if the classes from 2012 can be linked to "like" classes for 2013 and have the viewing option selected for 2012 "transferred" to "like" classes for 2013. For example if a user has the 2012 Gospel Doctrine class set to be viewed then the 2013 Gospel Doctrine class would automatically be set to be viewed.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
mevans

Post by mevans »

Just to be clear, the post from jdlessley above is not addressing the problem I reported. However, it is in response to another problem I encountered. jdlessley correctly identified this in another post.

The problem I see is that from the Weekly View, if I click on View Year to the right of a course that I can see, I don't go to the year view. When I click on it I get the following error in a debugger:
yearView.js:128 TypeError: 'undefined' is not an object (evaluating 'this.options.course.get')

However, if I click on the View Year link from Manage Class Schedules, it works.
Gary_Miller

Post by Gary_Miller »

When you first go into the new year it says "Select a course to view the lesson for this week" and a list of classes are viewed to the right where you select the course you want. I don't see where you need much more than that.
mevans

Post by mevans »

Gary_Miller, I believe you are responding to jdlessley's comment, which is not the topic of this thread. Please make your comment on this thread. I'm trying to get this thread back to the topic I'm reporting.
Gary_Miller

Post by Gary_Miller »

mevans wrote:The problem I see is that from the Weekly View, if I click on View Year to the right of a course that I can see, I don't go to the year view. When I click on it I get the following error in a debugger:
yearView.js:128 TypeError: 'undefined' is not an object (evaluating 'this.options.course.get')
Same problem here with the exception of I don't get the error message. It changes the site page address at the top of the page but just keeps me in the week view.

Example the bold number changes from 300 through 308 depending on the class clicked on but the page does not change.

https://www.lds.org/rclesson/?lang=eng#year/300/2013
mevans wrote:However, if I click on the View Year link from Manage Class Schedules, it works.
This works for me also.
mevans

Post by mevans »

Gary_Miller wrote:Same problem here with the exception of I don't get the error message.
Are you looking in a debugger/error console? That's where I saw the message. I don't see anything if I'm not using developer tools.
Gary_Miller

Post by Gary_Miller »

mevans wrote:Gary_Miller, I believe you are responding to jdlessley's comment, which is not the topic of this thread. Please make your comment on this thread. I'm trying to get this thread back to the topic I'm reporting.
Thanks I moved it and then it from here deleted. Carry on.

Return to “Beta Lesson Schedules”