Out of Unit Stake Center - Calendaring Problems

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
paulhilbig

Out of Unit Stake Center - Calendaring Problems

Post by paulhilbig »

Our stake center is not located in our stake boundaries and we therefore don't have any access to the stake center's calendar -- either seeing it or editing it.

This causes scheduling conflicts between the 3 wards who use the building (none is in our stake) and our stake.

I'm looking for the best solution to this problem. Right now we are considering making one of our stake's member an 'out of unit' member in the other stake. This out of unit member would most likely be the wife of our stake exec sec. We hesitate to use the exec sec himself for fear of losing his abilities on cdol, mission apps, etc. I've never dealt with 'out of unit' things, would that person's records be moved? What unintended consequences would there be for 'tricking' (for lack of a better word) MLS into letting one of our stake members accessing the stake calendar?

So my question is, would our current idea work? Or is there a better/simpler way to solve the problem?

Thanks!
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

paulhilbig wrote:Our stake center is not located in our stake boundaries and we therefore don't have any access to the stake center's calendar -- either seeing it or editing it.

This causes scheduling conflicts between the 3 wards who use the building (none is in our stake) and our stake.

I'm looking for the best solution to this problem. Right now we are considering making one of our stake's member an 'out of unit' member in the other stake. This out of unit member would most likely be the wife of our stake exec sec. We hesitate to use the exec sec himself for fear of losing his abilities on cdol, mission apps, etc. I've never dealt with 'out of unit' things, would that person's records be moved? What unintended consequences would there be for 'tricking' (for lack of a better word) MLS into letting one of our stake members accessing the stake calendar?

So my question is, would our current idea work? Or is there a better/simpler way to solve the problem?

Thanks!
See Locations and Resources Shared by Multiple Stakes on the Managing Locations calendar help page. If everything is configured correctly you should have the same ability to reserve resources as members of the other stake.
paulhilbig

Post by paulhilbig »

I looked at that prior to posting but I guess I'm too unfamiliar with the system. I'm missing the process of how I would 'give' our exec sec (or any member of our stake for that matter) the ability to schedule events in the stake center? Or is that something the host stake would need to do (but how would they if his records are not in their stake)?
paulhilbig

Post by paulhilbig »

"If the same location is shared by two stakes (an agent stake and an external stake), the agent stake manages the locations, rooms, and equipment. This stewardship also includes designating building schedulers. (Building schedulers must be members of the agent stake.) The external stake still has the ability to schedule the agent stake's location or resources." From MANAGING LOCATIONS page

How does "the external stake have the ability to schedule the agent stake's locations" except through the agent stake's building scheduler? Our end goal, if possible, is to have a building scheduler for both the agent stake AND the external stake.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

paulhilbig wrote:I looked at that prior to posting but I guess I'm too unfamiliar with the system. I'm missing the process of how I would 'give' our exec sec (or any member of our stake for that matter) the ability to schedule events in the stake center? Or is that something the host stake would need to do (but how would they if his records are not in their stake)?

Either the FM group has to make the assignment in the FMAT database or the host stake has to add your stake to the location. You can't do anything to configure that part.
paulhilbig

Post by paulhilbig »

Thanks for the input. So I'll contact the host stake and have them add my stake to the location. Once they do that, then properly designated members in MLS from my stake will be able to schedule events in the stake center, right?
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

paulhilbig wrote:"If the same location is shared by two stakes (an agent stake and an external stake), the agent stake manages the locations, rooms, and equipment. This stewardship also includes designating building schedulers. (Building schedulers must be members of the agent stake.) The external stake still has the ability to schedule the agent stake's location or resources." From MANAGING LOCATIONS page

How does "the external stake have the ability to schedule the agent stake's locations" except through the agent stake's building scheduler? Our end goal, if possible, is to have a building scheduler for both the agent stake AND the external stake.
The 'building scheduler' will have to be in the host stake. But you don't need a building scheduler to reserve resources. You simply put an event on one of your own calendars and select that stake center as the location. Any calendar editor in your stake will be able to do it. However, that stake center will not show up on the location list until either the FM group or the host stake configures things correctly.
paulhilbig

Post by paulhilbig »

Our stake doesn't have ANY wards meeting in the stake center. We simply use the stake offices. All three wards that meet in the stake center are in another stake. Does that affect the situation at all?

Having the stake center listed in the available location list is a step forward, but neither stake can see the other stake's calendar/scheduled items. So both stakes can in theory schedule the baptismal font for the same time and same place. Both stakes can schedule the cultural hall for a particular time. Then both stakes show up to use it and you can guess the confusion that ensues...

Question then is: can 2 different stakes see each others calendars simultaneously?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

paulhilbig wrote:Our stake doesn't have ANY wards meeting in the stake center. We simply use the stake offices. All three wards that meet in the stake center are in another stake. Does that affect the situation at all?
Unless the offices are shared, it makes me wonder why there's a problem?
paulhilbig wrote:Having the stake center listed in the available location list is a step forward, but neither stake can see the other stake's calendar/scheduled items. So both stakes can in theory schedule the baptismal font for the same time and same place. Both stakes can schedule the cultural hall for a particular time. Then both stakes show up to use it and you can guess the confusion that ensues...

Question then is: can 2 different stakes see each others calendars simultaneously?

Yes and no. Once you have that location added to your stake, you can switch to week view and see all events at that location. Any scheduling of events is checked against what's happening at that location and conflicts are blocked.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
paulhilbig

Post by paulhilbig »

I tried the "week view" to see if the other stake's activities would show up to no avail.

Maybe it would be easiest to create an out of unit record in the other stake so we can see their calendar afterall?

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”