Resource Conflict but No Conflict Exists; Save Draft Event If Conflict?

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
tortdog

Resource Conflict but No Conflict Exists; Save Draft Event If Conflict?

Post by tortdog »

There was a reoccurring event scheduled 7-8:30 pm for the cultural hall. Tried to set up another event in the cultural hall at 2 pm to 3 pm. The system blocked it based on a conflict of resource and location.

System gives no option to save the info for the attempted new event, so must cancel and lose all info.

I deleted the first event (it was in error, I discovered, anyway), and recreated the new event from scratch.

First, not sure why the conflict arose. I rechecked the dates and times and the times presented no conflict. Have not tried to recreate and test.

Second, would be a nice change if there were a way to save an event that is in conflict to a "draft" or something so we don't have to start from scratch (or to go in and modify the existing event in conflict straight from the conflict window as you have to chase it down and remember the event's date in conflict - not super evident if you are creating an event in another month than the current month in view. That's a wish list.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

tortdog wrote:There was a reoccurring event scheduled 7-8:30 pm for the cultural hall. Tried to set up another event in the cultural hall at 2 pm to 3 pm. The system blocked it based on a conflict of resource and location.

System gives no option to save the info for the attempted new event, so must cancel and lose all info.

When I run into this situation, I don't cancel. I just change the location to "Other Location" so that no resources are involved. That way I can save any work I have put into the title, description, repeats, etc. Once the event is saved, it's at least on the calendar. Then I research the resource conflict issues and when I've taken care of those, I go back and edit my new event to use the correct resources.
tortdog wrote:There was a reoccurring event scheduled 7-8:30 pm for the cultural hall. Tried to set up another event in the cultural hall at 2 pm to 3 pm.
First, not sure why the conflict arose. I rechecked the dates and times and the times presented no conflict. Have not tried to recreate and test.

Sometimes there is an exception to the original recurring event that causes a conflict. Just because the other event is generally scheduled for 7-8:30pm doesn't mean that one instance didn't get rescheduled for a different time. I've sometimes run into that kind of conflict, which is not immediately obvious when another recurring event is being scheduled.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
tortdog

Post by tortdog »

Great tip on save to other location. Thanks!
macerl

Post by macerl »

I am also having issues with receiving a conflict alert when no conflict actually exists. Am building the 2013 Calendar for our Stake, so the calendar is blank at the moment. Created an event for "Bishops' Council" in the High Council Room from 7pm to 9pm; no setup or cleanup time. Then created event "Bishops' Welfare Council" in the same room from 9pm to 10pm. Received a conflict. Changed first meeting time to end at 8:45 pm. Still a conflict. Finally changed 2nd meeting to no location do eliminate conflict and move on to other things. But, I should not have to do that.
Gary_Miller

Post by Gary_Miller »

I just tested this on my wards calendar and had no problems.

there are a few things that could be happening

1. You actually do have a start/cleanup time on one of the events and did not realize it.
2. There is a reservation that is causing the conflict.
3. There is an event on a private calendar that is causing the conflict.
4. You have accidently selected another room in the location or equipment item that is causing the conflict (IE: High Council room and another room that is already scheduled)
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Is this a hard conflict that won't let you save or a "possible" conflict that will let you save and is just letting you know?
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Calendar”