permission to post pictures

Discussions about the Ward Directory and Map tool on churchofjesuschrist.org.
wssimpson

permission to post pictures

Post by wssimpson »

In an effort to increase the percentage of ward members with pictures in the online directory, we've asked the ward historian to take pictures of families and upload them to the directory. Could someone please tell me how to give the ward historian the necessary permission/authorization to upload pictures into the online directory, through either MLS or the web site itself? Could we, perhaps, make her a web site administrator through MLS without disturbing the permissions of the existing web site administrator?

Thank you!

Scott Simpson
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

wssimpson wrote:Could we, perhaps, make her a web site administrator through MLS without disturbing the permissions of the existing web site administrator?
Yes. However web site administrator gives rather broad rights to many applications. You'd have to be comfortable with your historian that they won't mess with things they shouldn't.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

wssimpson wrote:In an effort to increase the percentage of ward members with pictures in the online directory, we've asked the ward historian to take pictures of families and upload them to the directory. Could someone please tell me how to give the ward historian the necessary permission/authorization to upload pictures into the online directory, through either MLS or the web site itself? Could we, perhaps, make her a web site administrator through MLS without disturbing the permissions of the existing web site administrator?

A ward may have more than one person with the standard calling "Website Administrator". So if you want her to be able to upload photos to the directory, that's the way to do it. Note that she will then have administrative permissions to other tools, such as Newsletter, Calendar, and Lesson Schedules. So you'll have to make it clear who is doing what.

There's no way in the Directory application to designate an administrator -- it is done purely by calling.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
wertdl
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by wertdl »

Can auxiliary presidencies post photos to the directory via their standard calling in MLS? I'm in a YSA ward, and our bishop wants each presidency (RS and EQ) to make sure photos are posted. If they can't through their standard calling in the auxiliary/quorum, I guess I'll just add them all as website admins.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

wertdl wrote:Can auxiliary presidencies post photos to the directory via their standard calling in MLS? I'm in a YSA ward, and our bishop wants each presidency (RS and EQ) to make sure photos are posted. If they can't through their standard calling in the auxiliary/quorum, I guess I'll just add them all as website admins.
No, auxiliary presidencies have no administrative rights of any kind in the Directory.

I would note that making sure that photos are posted is not the same thing as uploading them yourself. The bishop is free to make assignments as he sees fit, but it seems to me that RS and EQ presidencies could make sure the photos get taken, and a single website administrator could easily upload them and assign them to the members.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

wertdl wrote:If they can't through their standard calling in the auxiliary/quorum, I guess I'll just add them all as website admins.
Be careful. That will probably give them far more power then you intend to give - including full admin rights to the calendar. As in the EQ President can now delete conflicting RS events. I wouldn't do it.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
wertdl
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by wertdl »

aebrown wrote:No, auxiliary presidencies have no administrative rights of any kind in the Directory.

I would note that making sure that photos are posted is not the same thing as uploading them yourself. The bishop is free to make assignments as he sees fit, but it seems to me that RS and EQ presidencies could make sure the photos get taken, and a single website administrator could easily upload them and assign them to the members.
That's what we're currently doing. I'm the EQP and website admin. Thanks for verifying - we'll figure it out :)
SethKeller

Limiting Access of Administrators to Upload Photos

Post by SethKeller »

I am not interested in having my photo uploaded to any church directory at this moment. How can I make it so that Administrators cannot upload my photo without my permission.

Someone posted a photo of me that I was not comfortable sharing with everyone. And as it states clearly in the legal document preceding the photo-uploading page:

All individuals in the photo have given their consent to its posting. If an individual is a minor, the minor's parent or legal guardian must grant consent. I did not grant any consent to any party at any time to upload my photo.

Thank you for your help.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

SethKeller wrote:I am not interested in having my photo uploaded to any church directory at this moment. How can I make it so that Administrators cannot upload my photo without my permission.

There is no technical way to do that. You need to let your Bishop know that your wishes where not respected.

The only other thing I can think of is to upload a graphic as a photo that says that there is no photo. (However, an admin will have to approve that.) At least that will serve as a reminder that you don't want a photo.

jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

SethKeller wrote:Someone posted a photo of me that I was not comfortable sharing with everyone.
In addition to what RussellHltn posted you can delete the photo. You can also change the visibility of the photo to "Private - Leadership Only" to restrict viewing to only those with administrator rights at the stake level and at the ward level.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?

Return to “Ward Directory and Map”