How many computers can MLS be on?

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
malibu33

How many computers can MLS be on?

Post by malibu33 »

How many computer can MLS be on? We have two computer in our clerk's office and would like to load MLS on both of them. If you can do that, how do you go about doing it.

Thank you
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

The answer is: one. Having it on multiple computers, isn't supported. Some people have done it, but the second computer can only be used to run reports, not to update anything.

Another issue: Where did the other computer come from? Typically on a upgrade the FM group wants an old computer back for proper disposal. Policy doesn't allow donated computers for record-keeping.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
malibu33

Post by malibu33 »

Thanks for the update. I wanted to use the second computer for auxiliary leaders to input numbers. Does that fall under the category of run reports? I just became the ward clerk a couple months ago and have no idea where the computer came from.

Thanks
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

malibu33 wrote:Thanks for the update. I wanted to use the second computer for auxiliary leaders to input numbers. Does that fall under the category of run reports?

No. I personally think it's a risky practice to have a secondary MLS system anyway, but if you do have one, you can't input any kind of data on it. There's no way to do a transmission, and no way to merge the data with your main MLS system.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

malibu33 wrote:Thanks for the update. I wanted to use the second computer for auxiliary leaders to input numbers.

The problem is when you restore a backup from the main MLS machine, your numbers would be overwritten. And there's be no safe way to move data input into the secondary machine into the first.

By "reports" I meant "read only" type functions.

BTW, when I was the ward clerk, I found it faster for me to enter the numbers then it was to schedule a time for them to use the machine and then watch them fumble their way though the process.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
failproof

Re: How many computers can MLS be on?

Post by failproof »

I'm also fairly new to my calling (as STS), and I had the same question, so I found this helpful... I am in the process of swapping out the 3 (yes three) computers in our stake clerk's office. The FM group delivered 3 new ones to replace the 3 existing ones. Until today, I didn't realize that MLS was only installed on one of them.

So lets say I did want to give read only access to two of the machines and only have them doing updates on one of them. How would I go about doing that? I am very new to MLS. At this point, I've never used it, only seen it used.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I'm not sure how useful you'd find it. Many functions are locked out after a restore. Are you sure they all had MLS?

failproof

Post by failproof »

You misread that... Only one of them had it, but they would like to have it on all three. If I can better understand what it would take to give them view but not update on two of them, that might be better than nothing.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

Prior to MLS version 3.5 some units and stakes had used a second (or third) computer running a restored backup from the primary MLS computer just to run reports and view data. With MLS version 3.5 the ability to restore a backup from one MLS computer to another computer does not result in a fully accessible database until a send/receive is accomplished. The financial data requires a synchronization file from headquarters to unlock the finance data. Only one computer can synch with headquarters. There is a security check made whenever a computer connects with headquarters. If the computer connecting to headquarters is not the one registered with headquarters the connection fails and the data is not updated. The result is the financial data remains locked out. There is also calling position data that is synchronized. But the organization and membership data sections are not locked as they are in the finance section. There are organizations (the seven added with MLS 3.5) that have display issues when not synched with headquarters.

With MLS 3.5 and later, the utility of a second computer running a restored MLS backup is no longer viable for anything other than viewing membership information. The information that is available on a computer running a restored backup is also available online, so I see no reason to use other computers to run restored backups just for membership and most organization information.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
failproof

Post by failproof »

Thanks JD. That pretty much answers what I was looking for. Basically I should tell them to use the web tools where available and use the one MLS machine for any real MLS needs. From a stake perspective that is probably a lot less than what the wards use them for. And it isn't any different than what they have already been doing with the possible exception of often forgetting about the LDS.org tools.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”