Members moved still showing up for tithing status declaration

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
tylerchristensen

Members moved still showing up for tithing status declaration

Post by tylerchristensen »

I was looking at the tithing status declaration report and I am showing several members on the report that have moved from our ward. In fact, many of them moved well before tithing settlement started. Why are their names still listed in our ward's tithing status declaration report? Shouldn't they be listed on their new ward's report and not their old ward?

Thanks,

Tyler Christensen
Ward Clerk
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

Most likely they will be listed on their new ward's report. If the individual erroneously shows as a member in the Type column on the screen, the member type needs to be changed on the Add/Update Donors screen by clicking on the name and then selecting Not a Member/Miscellaneous.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

At the risk of pointing out the obvious, you might want to verify that their records have actually left the ward. It's not unheard of for a family to move out and the records remain for awhile.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
tylerchristensen

Thanks for the suggestions. I have verified the records have left the ward so I don't understand why they still show up on our ward's tithing declaration report. Should I contact SLC on this or just leave them on the report? If I leave them, how does bishop declare their status?
tylerchristensen

Does the tithing status declaration report list all current members of the ward or does it list all donors who paid at any point during the year? If the latter, how does the bishop know how to declare the status of a donor that is no longer living in the ward? Actually, come to think of it, the report is showing a member that moved into our ward for a few weeks and then returned to her original ward and never paid any donations at all in our ward. Why would this individual be listed on the tithing status declaration report?
gregwanderson

Post by gregwanderson »

In the past, anyone whose membership records weren't in the ward were certainly not listed in the Tithing Status reports. You could print donor statements but you couldn't print Tithing Settlement papers for those individuals. Is there a bug in 3.5? I will double-check my own ward's reports to make sure this isn't happening here.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

The Tithing Status Declaration Report should only include those members who are current members of the ward. All donors making a donation during the tax year will be listed on the Donor Statements report list in MLS. This will include nonmembers, other units, and institutions. Since you only want to report current members of your ward in the Tithing Status Declaration report you can change the status of the members who have moved out of your ward. Follow these steps to change the status of donors.
  1. Go to Finance > Add/Update Donors. In the third column titled Type you will see the current status for members. Some of the possible status types will be Member, Nonmember, and Out-of-unit.
  2. Click the donor name to bring up the donor record.
  3. Select the appropriate member type. A member you know that has had their record moved out can be changed to "Member of another unit". This will change their Type on the donors list to Out-of-unit. This status will remove them from the Tithing Status Declaration Report.
To record a member’s tithing status, the unit must still have the member’s record. If for some reason you do not know where a member resides and you can confirm the member record is still in your ward a tithing status declaration should be made for that member. But if the member’s record was moved, the member’s new ward will record the tithing status. If you cannot change the donor status as described above (not likely), leave the “declaration status” as “not declared” and make a note in the “notes” field that the member has moved.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
tylerchristensen

Super! Thanks for the help!
gregwanderson

Post by gregwanderson »

When someone moves out of the ward their "Donor Status" should automatically change to "Out-of-Unit." When a student moves out for a few months and then comes back, their donor status stays "Out-of-Unit" and must be manually changed back to "Member." But I haven't seen a situation where someone moved out and their donor status remained "Member."

I checked our ward's computer and confirmed that the only people who showed up on Tithing Settlement lists had "Member" status and their membership records were, indeed, in our ward. So we're okay for Tithing Settlement. The thing which surprised me was that many of those whose member type was "Out-of-Unit" (because they really had moved out) had been changed to "Nonmember." I blame the MLS 3.5 upgrade for this (because that changed some other things that didn't need to be changed). Also, those who'd moved out and had been manually changed to "Hidden" before the MLS upgrade have become "Visible" again. I'm double-checking the whole list now for these kinds of errors.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”