Assistant Clerk Finance - Maps

Discussions about the Ward Directory and Map tool on churchofjesuschrist.org.
gregwanderson

Post by gregwanderson »

I guess my question is: Who decides what "assignment" is given to an assistant ward clerk? Does the Stake leadership have to determine if one is in charge of finances or does the Bishop or does the Ward Clerk get to say? If it's so easy to adjust our own assignments on MLS as a work around for the LDS.org restricted access then the restricted access (put in place by the demands of the higher-ups) is kind of meaningless anyway. Should we be clearing this with the Stake leadership first?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

mrrad wrote:I guess my question is: Who decides what "assignment" is given to an assistant ward clerk?

It's quite clear in Handbook 1, 13.4.3, that the stake issues the calling for assistant clerks upon the recommendation of the bishopric. But once the assistant clerk has begun serving, the bishopric gives assignments to the assistant ward clerks.

To my thinking, the way access rights are assigned makes it fairly easy to decide how to record the calling of an assistant clerk in MLS (but the decision is made by the bishop):
  • If an assistant clerk performs only financial functions, he should be given the calling of "Ward Assistant Clerk--Finance"
  • If the bishop wants the assistant clerk assigned to finances to perform other clerking functions as well, he should also be given the calling of "Ward Assistant Clerk" so that he will have the access he needs.
  • The calling of "Ward Assistant Clerk" could replace the calling of "Ward Assistant Clerk--Finance", but it can be helpful to have the clerk assigned to finances clearly labeled as such in the Directory.
  • With the change to MLS 3.5 rights, any clerk that the bishop wants to be able to authorize a donation batch must be given the calling of "Ward Assistant Clerk--Finance" or "Ward Assistant Clerk" (perhaps in addition to another calling)
Okay, a decision process with four bullet points might not accurately be described as "easy," but you get the point. :)
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

mrrad wrote:If it's so easy to adjust our own assignments on MLS as a work around for the LDS.org restricted access then the restricted access (put in place by the demands of the higher-ups) is kind of meaningless anyway.

Yes and no. Keep in mind these changes are reflected in the directory and the CDOL where a history is kept. So if any questions come up it's not hard to see who has/had access. Someone changing their own rights will raise eyebrows if it wasn't authorized.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Ward Directory and Map”