Newby trying to upload a Portrait Picture and it rotates to Landscape

Discussions about the Newsletter Tool at LDS.org.
kelsea823

Newby trying to upload a Portrait Picture and it rotates to Landscape

Post by kelsea823 »

Hi,

I am attempting to start our first online newsletter and I want to upload a portrait style picture and it rotates on it's side to landscape. What can I do to force the portrait?

Also, any other hints or ideas for a newby? I would sure be appreciate it. For example, what works in your newsletter and are there any examples other than what is shown in the "Help" section?

Thanks!
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

With some cameras, when you take a picture with the camera rotated (a portrait picture), it will store the picture as landscape, but it contains extra information (in the EXIF section of the image) that says that the camera was rotated when it took the picture. In this case, you'll find that some software will recognize that rotation information and automatically display the picture in portrait, and some other software will ignore that rotation information and just treat the photo the way it is stored -- as landscape. My guess is that the Newsletter is in this latter category.

In that case, the fix is usually to use some photo editing software to manually rotate the photo or to remove the EXIF rotation information.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

In addition, I've found some software "rotates" the image by changing the EXIF but not by altering the image itself.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Newsletter”