How can I find former missionaries that served in an area?

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
pzells

How can I find former missionaries that served in an area?

Post by pzells »

Is there a database of former missionaries and where they served? A member in my stake wants to find the missionaries that baptized him in Florida in 1969. I would like to help him out. I tried to find this missionary using non-church methods like Facebook, Spokeo, Whitepages.com but no luck. Does anyone know a better way to find these missionaries?

Thanks
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

One possible source is http://mission.net -- some of the mission sites are maintained better than others, and there's no guarantee that any particular missionary is on the mission's alumni list, and very few of the missions have records that go all the way back to the 1960s, but you might get lucky.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
lehrschallbrian

Post by lehrschallbrian »

Call Church headquarters. They should have the listing of who did the baptism on the record.
PamelaBonta

Re: How can I find former missionaries that served in an area?

Post by PamelaBonta »

Church HQ no longer gives out information such as this.
poettheaterlinda

Post by poettheaterlinda »

I am in the same dilemma. I am trying to find my original missionaries from 1992; (Elder Stringham, & Elder Stringer.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

On Facebook, did you just search for his name, or did you look for a mission Facebook group? I'd suggest asking around in mission Facebook groups to see if anyone has a connection. I'm guessing it would have been the Florida Fort Lauderdale Mission in the 1960s, if it was in Miami (mentioned next to your username).
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
JaneHallstrom

Post by JaneHallstrom »

I too would love to track down a wonderful missionary who had such a memorable impact on my son. All I know is he was Elder Martin and he was serving in Chapel Hill NC in 1989-1990 time period. Any suggestions?
Last edited by JaneHallstrom on Sun Nov 25, 2018 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Do a search a web search to see if there is a webpage or group in social media for that mission. They may be found there.

There is no way though the church.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Kehaulaninapua

Post by Kehaulaninapua »

Aloha. I would also like to Find Elder Belle and Elder Shaw who served in Kona Hawaii, Keʻei Branch in the mid 1990’s. I would love to reconnect with them and thank them for all they have done for my sisters and I.

Love

Sister Johnson
dlpsnow7

Post by dlpsnow7 »

I am in the same boat. I’ve been looking for Elder Michael Miller from Oklahoma who was a former wrestling champion in the state back in around 1970. His companion Elder Michael Higgins was From EugeneOregon. At the time that I met him, he was 27 years old, a convert to the church, late in age for this mission but had a great desire to serve. I met them in 1971 when I was living in Stow, Massachusetts. Their mission was called the New England states mission. If Anyone has any information on these two men, I would be grateful. I want to personally thank them for introducing me to the gospel and changing my life forever!

Return to “General Discussions”