visiting teaching excommunicated members

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
sasgrw

visiting teaching excommunicated members

Post by sasgrw »

This probably applies to home teaching too. We are counseled to have home and visiting teachers for members that have been excommunicated. However, if I bring up the visiting teaching companionships and try to add a sister that has lost her membership, she doesn't show up as an available sister.

Is this correct? Should the RS President just make a note of who's visiting teaching the sister but not have an official record of the visit? It won't be counted in the monthly visiting teaching report or the quarterly report? She won't show up on the companionship's visiting teaching families?

She also doesn't show up on the roll. Does she have to hand write her name on the roll every quarter (or however often new rolls are printed)?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

If my test install of MLS is to be believed, you can manually add a non-member to the RS. It doesn't happen automatically, probably because there is no birth date for non-members.

By default, when adding sisters to be home taught, it will default to "RS Sisters" which explains why you don't see her. But you can change "Show" (in the upper right corner) to "All Females" and then you can see her.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
sasgrw

Post by sasgrw »

Awesome, that was it. She now shows up as a sister to be visited.

That doesn't help the roll, though. I know with primary or the youth, if a child is unbaptized, they still show up on the roll, although you don't include them in the numbers for the quarterly report. I added a new non-member record for a different sister and she shows up on the roll, but the excomm sister does not, even though both sisters were manually added to the RS.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

sasgrw wrote:I added a new non-member record for a different sister and she shows up on the roll, but the excomm sister does not, even though both sisters were manually added to the RS.

I would re-check that she was successfully added. I don't think MLS keeps track of "exomm", so it wouldn't be able to to do anything differently for her.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
sasgrw

Post by sasgrw »

Yes, I had checked before posting. I manually added two sisters to the RS. They both show up if I try to assign a VTer but only one shows up on the attendance roll.

The difference is that the non-member record I created recently whereas the former member already had a record but its state changed.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”