2013 FM Budget SLASHED!

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
johnshaw

2013 FM Budget SLASHED!

Post by johnshaw »

So our stake got the word that FMG budgets were slashed by 20%

In the initial email from our FMG I quote "this will impact every meetinghouse including many TV, computer and firewall upgrades"

In a Follow-up email from our Stake President a further explanation was given, and again I'm quoting, "Just days after the announcement of the age change for full-time missionaries was announced in General Conference we were asked to share what a 20% reduction would look like. Over the next few weeks we discussed the impact and were just given the items that needed to be cut. I’m sure the financial need is to meet the surge of new missionary applicants"

It appears that "Meetinghouse Internet" was targeted as cuts for 2013. With many of our our meetinghouses not upgraded to the 881W what will that mean? Did we lose our opportunity to participate in the 3 year roll-out plan? At what point would we then be eligible to upgrade our Meetinghouse's Networks? What about the new Technology Manager are we just out-of-luck? I just don't see any concerted effort after 2013 to get all meetinghouses upgraded, if it doesn't happen in 2013, I don't see it EVER happening. What a shame for those of us in this situation.

Is anyone else out there hearing things like this?
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

JohnShaw wrote:Is anyone else out there hearing things like this?

Well, for a slightly different perspective, if the cut in 2013 is only 20%, it will be a vast improvement over what we have been going through for the last several years.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

The question is 20% from what?
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
dannykos

Post by dannykos »

I would imagine if the church was really concerned about a one off financial hit from an influx of missionary applications - they would just ask us to make a request of increased donations into the ward & general missionary funds. Tithing Settlement would be the perfect time too!
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

lajackson wrote:Well, for a slightly different perspective, if the cut in 2013 is only 20%, it will be a vast improvement over what we have been going through for the last several years.

I wish there was a bit more transparency, because, it appears, this can be regional, one of the reasons for posting was to see if this was something nation-wide, or localized. I agree with others that an upswing in Missionaries is something as a church we could be asked to handle in a different way, an increase in the equalized payment, a request to contribute a one-time donation, etc...
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
Gary_Miller

Post by Gary_Miller »

If its missionary related it would be due to the increase in the infrastructural costs. IE more housing at mission training centers. These cost would come from FM not the missionary funds.
gregwanderson

Post by gregwanderson »

Not enough information. Just because the Stake President has concluded that this is related to the change in missionary application ages, that doesn't mean I agree with the conclusion. Sure, the timing might be suspicious. Then again, this could mean that the church is preparing for the possibility that economic conditions at large will remain weak. That will mean less income for people in general which will translate to tithing donations taking a hit too.

We continue to use a more-than-25-year-old TV in our meetinghouse and, while it still technically "works" it doesn't even have RCA inputs (just a two-wire antenna hook-up). Using adapters and RF Modulators we can make it work but we're thinking that if the three wards in our building "pool" a few extra dollars we could hit a Best Buy sale this weekend and get a nice replacement with all the right inputs. But would that be "undermining" the FMG system and, therefore, be a really bad move?
Gary_Miller

Post by Gary_Miller »

mrrad wrote:But would that be "undermining" the FMG system and, therefore, be a really bad move?
I think its a bad move just because its FM responsibility and they are funded for these type replacements. Anytime funds are used for other than what they are intended for two things happen. 1) The account you take the funds out of no longer has the funds to accomplish the purposes that they were intended for. 2) The account which the funds were to come out could be reduced since the need is no longer there. Its better if you just make sure FM knows of the requirement and let them work it into their priorities that way they are able to show CHQ that they have a valid requirement.
gregwanderson

Post by gregwanderson »

Still, there's the frustration with putting in a request and waiting who-knows-how-long for another TV, as opposed to someone goes downtown this Friday and, bang! The problem is solved. Besides, each ward budget already includes some kind of library supply category (and those "black Friday" deals would be better for the budget too). I checked the TV we have now and it was manufactured in April 1984. :(
Gary_Miller

Post by Gary_Miller »

mrrad wrote:Besides, each ward budget already includes some kind of library supply category (and those "black Friday" deals would be better for the budget too).(
Supplies does not include equipment. Supplies are, pens, paper, crayons, CDs, pictures, copier toner, glue, staples, tape, scriptures, ect.. The cost of a TV is the cost of sending a couple of Young Men to camp.
mrrad wrote:I checked the TV we have now and it was manufactured in April 1984
. My bet would be no one has ever pointed out to PF the need for a replacement TV. FM cannot take care of problems that they don't know exist.

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”