Email notifications

Discussions about the Newsletter Tool at LDS.org.
mmkids6

Post by mmkids6 »

Do we have any idea when the email notification will be available?
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

[Moderator note: This thread was split from the Who can Publish thread because it addresses a different topic. The opening post was edited to include only one of the topics addressed in the original post.]

The development team has not given any timeline for this capability yet.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
deggertsen

Post by deggertsen »

Shouldn't this be pretty high priority? This tool is almost useless to our ward without the ability to have it email to ward members. No disrespect, but I just thought that this is core functionality in a newsletter system.

Thanks for the great work on these tools!
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

Deggertsen wrote:Shouldn't this be pretty high priority? This tool is almost useless to our ward without the ability to have it email to ward members. No disrespect, but I just thought that this is core functionality in a newsletter system.

The tools on LDS.org are being developed gradually, using the limited development resources the Church has at its disposal. Given the choice of getting a useful but incomplete tool now vs. a more complete tools sometime far in the future, I would certainly choose the useful tool now.

Although I would love to see notifications as a part of the newsletter tool, I don't see it as an essential feature. The newsletter is very useful right now. If you want to notify members about a new newsletter article, you can always use the existing capabilities for sending a message (the Directory, or the Send a Message feature in Leader and Clerk Resources) and include a link to the article. It's a little bit of hassle to do it that way, but it's really not that hard.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
millward137

Emergency Prep

Post by millward137 »

aebrown wrote:The tools on LDS.org are being developed gradually, using the limited development resources the Church has at its disposal. Given the choice of getting a useful but incomplete tool now vs. a more complete tools sometime far in the future, I would certainly choose the useful tool now.

Although I would love to see notifications as a part of the newsletter tool, I don't see it as an essential feature. The newsletter is very useful right now. If you want to notify members about a new newsletter article, you can always use the existing capabilities for sending a message (the Directory, or the Send a Message feature in Leader and Clerk Resources) and include a link to the article. It's a little bit of hassle to do it that way, but it's really not that hard.

As the emergency preparedness coordinator I would like the ability to be able to send out these messages so we don't have to rely on someone else on sending them. Is this something that someone in my ward can allow me to do? Or are there set privileges based on your calling within the system already?

As the previous commentor mentioned, the newsletter should have a mass email function. If I don't have access to the messaging I'm inclined to create a word press site and use a newsletter plugin there but would obviously like to save the $48/year (not too much) and keep it within lds.org since half of the app exists already.

Let me know what I can do.

Thank you for your help.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

millward137 wrote:As the emergency preparedness coordinator I would like the ability to be able to send out these messages so we don't have to rely on someone else on sending them. Is this something that someone in my ward can allow me to do? Or are there set privileges based on your calling within the system already?

Any member can use the email features of the Directory to send email messages to organizations in the ward, including "All Adults". You don't need any special privileges.
millward137 wrote:As the previous commentor mentioned, the newsletter should have a mass email function. If I don't have access to the messaging I'm inclined to create a word press site and use a newsletter plugin there but would obviously like to save the $48/year (not too much) and keep it within lds.org since half of the app exists already.

Setting up a separate site would most likely run afoul of the prohibition on wards and stakes creating their own websites.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
millward137

Post by millward137 »

Great, sorry but how do I access the email messaging area?

Also, isn't using Facebook (like many wards are doing) the same as a website? I'm sure I should discuss this with my bishop.
millward137

Post by millward137 »

Hey found out how to do it... using updated chrome I received an error saying "that request is too large to process"
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

millward137 wrote:Also, isn't using Facebook (like many wards are doing) the same as a website? I'm sure I should discuss this with my bishop.

Be sure to point out Handbook 2: 21.1.22.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
millward137

Post by millward137 »

Thanks that actually helps a lot. I can in fact create a site obviously by following the instructions outlined.

Thank you again.

Return to “Newsletter”