New Clerk...need MLS access help

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
paul.jensen

New Clerk...need MLS access help

Post by paul.jensen »

I am pretty adept at computer software and feel pretty confident in learning MLS. However, I am at the mercy of some "less than proficient" skills of current MLS users in my ward to get started. I was told that I can access a browser based MLS version from home so that I don't have to sit in the clerks office all the time. Is this true? Also, when the bishop gave me the permissions I need and I had to enter an account password, I tried to enter the password for my existing LDS account and it didn't work, I was forced to enter a new password (user name remained the same). However, when I go home to log in to my LDS account, I still have to use my old PW and the new PW that I was forced to enter when changing the MLS permissions isn't accepted. What am I doing wrong? I tried to do a search on the forum but I didn't find any info to answer my question.

So my questions are these:
1. Can I really access MLS from home? If so, how?
2. Was the second PW that I created an MLS specific PW or for a separate LDS account?

Thanks for your help!!
Gary_Miller

Post by Gary_Miller »

paul.jensen wrote:1. Can I really access MLS from home? If so, how?
I know there is something like this I just don't know the particulars. I'm sure one of the form moderators will come on and direct you to the right place.
paul.jensen wrote:2. Was the second PW that I created an MLS specific PW or for a separate LDS account?
The logon and password in MLS is separate from the LDS.ORG logon and password although I don't see why you could not use the same for both.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

paul.jensen wrote:1. Can I really access MLS from home? If so, how?

You cannot access MLS itself from home. MLS is a desktop application that runs only on the computer in the clerk's office.

However, much of the membership-related functionality of MLS is available on LDS.org under Clerk and Leader Resources. As long as you have the correct standard calling for your clerk position you can sign in to LDS.org and then on the Sign In/Tools menu you'll see options for Leader Resources and Clerk Resources. Browse through those areas to see a lot of the same functions that are in MLS.

Note that there is no finance-related functionality on LDS.org at this point; indeed, if you are simply a financial clerk, you won't even have access to Leader and Clerk Resources at this point. And there are other things that can only be done in MLS at this point (home and visiting teaching being a big one). But gradually more and more of the MLS functionality is moving to LDS.org.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
paul.jensen

Post by paul.jensen »

Thanks! I am responsible for the membership records of our ward, so I should be able to see the Clerk and Leader Resources option? I do not have this option when I sign in to LDS.org>Sign In/Tools. Could something have gone wrong in the registration process when the bishop gave me the permissions? I was able to Sign in on the desktop application in the clerks office immediately after the bishop set me up but I have not been able to see an access point on my LDS.org account.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

paul.jensen wrote:Thanks! I am responsible for the membership records of our ward, so I should be able to see the Clerk and Leader Resources option? I do not have this option when I sign in to LDS.org>Sign In/Tools. Could something have gone wrong in the registration process when the bishop gave me the permissions? I was able to Sign in on the desktop application in the clerks office immediately after the bishop set me up but I have not been able to see an access point on my LDS.org account.

The permissions in the desktop MLS are not connected to permissions on lds.org. The permissions to lds.org are connected to your calling as recorded in the desktop MLS. So in addition to setting you up to access the desktop MLS you need to be listed as a membership clerk there. You should be able to do this yourself now that you have MLS permissions. Go to the Organizations menu and select Bishopric. If you're already listed as Assistant Ward Clerk--Membership then you're fine. If you're listed as Assistant Ward Clerk that's OK too. Otherwise click on the Add Position link and add yourself with the Assistant Ward Clerk--Membership calling. Then click the Send/Receive Changes button at the bottom right of MLS to send those changes to CHQ.

But note that it takes between 1-2 days before the new position will provide any new rights on lds.org so be patient.
paul.jensen

Post by paul.jensen »

eblood66 wrote:The permissions in the desktop MLS are not connected to permissions on lds.org. The permissions to lds.org are connected to your calling as recorded in the desktop MLS. So in addition to setting you up to access the desktop MLS you need to be listed as a membership clerk there. You should be able to do this yourself now that you have MLS permissions. Go to the Organizations menu and select Bishopric. If you're already listed as Assistant Ward Clerk--Membership then you're fine. If you're listed as Assistant Ward Clerk that's OK too. Otherwise click on the Add Position link and add yourself with the Assistant Ward Clerk--Membership calling. Then click the Send/Receive Changes button at the bottom right of MLS to send those changes to CHQ.

But note that it takes between 1-2 days before the new position will provide any new rights on lds.org so be patient.

OK, perfect. Something must be wrong with my permissions. I'll just go down to the church tonite and see if I can get things straightened out on the desktop application so that I can access the browser based options. Thanks for the help!
Biggles

Post by Biggles »

Otherwise click on the Add Position link and add yourself with the Assistant Ward Clerk--Membership calling. Then click the Send/Receive Changes button at the bottom right of MLS to send those changes to CHQ.

Just to emphasise eblood66 instructions.

Also make sure it is entered as a Standard Calling, not a Custom Calling!
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

eblood66 wrote:If you're already listed as Assistant Ward Clerk--Membership then you're fine. If you're listed as Assistant Ward Clerk that's OK too.
Make sure the position is a standard position and not a custom position. The access rights online are granted based on the standard positions. Custom positions will only have regular membership access rights.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

paul.jensen wrote:OK, perfect. Something must be wrong with my permissions. I'll just go down to the church tonite and see if I can get things straightened out on the desktop application so that I can access the browser based options. Thanks for the help!
You currently aren't listed in any position in CDOL, which is the source of positions for all the online rights. But if your position was entered in MLS this weekend you will need to check back later today. There were some problems this weekend with processing the information from MLS. We turned off that processing until we could fine the problem. It has been resolved and we are now trying to process through the weekend's work.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

JonesRK wrote:You currently aren't listed in any position in CDOL, which is the source of positions for all the online rights. But if your position was entered in MLS this weekend you will need to check back later today. There were some problems this weekend with processing the information from MLS. We turned off that processing until we could fine the problem. It has been resolved and we are now trying to process through the weekend's work.
To expand a bit on Ryan's comment here, you may be setup correctly in MLS and it just hasn't processed at CHQ yet. What you should do is try to log onto CDOL (http://cdol.lds.org) later today with your lds.org username and password. If after you Sign in you can search for your ward and see information about your ward then it means you are setup correctly in MLS. Just wait another 24 hours and you should have rights on the other systems.

On other hand if when you log onto CDOL you get an error saying you don't have a position that gives you any rights then you need to go to the desktop MLS and make sure you're entered correctly. After you do a send/receive in the desktop MLS you should be able to access CDOL (as described above) within an hour (if not sooner--sometimes it only takes a couple minutes).

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”