how to use MLS to correct donation errors

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
gwagley

how to use MLS to correct donation errors

Post by gwagley »

I had a brother come to me recently with his donation statement. Apparently his donation to the Ward Missionary Fund was incorrectly recorded as Tithing a few months ago. I'm still fairly new at this and can't seem to find a how-to on fixing this in MLS. Could someone point me in the right direction? Thanks!
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

Go to View/Update Donations, then locate the batch that contains the incorrect donation. Click on the batch date to edit the batch. Then find the particular donation and edit it to have the correct categories.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
gregwanderson

Post by gregwanderson »

Not to worry. It is not difficult to correct this. I don't have MLS in front of me now but it goes something like this. From the main Finances page, go to View Donations (or maybe it's called View/Update Donation). Find the batch that needs to be corrected and click (double-click?) on the name of the batch to view donations. Then click on the donor name for the specific donation to be corrected. This will open a screen just like the one you see when recording a donation on Sunday. Change the things that need to be changed (change the tithing to zero and enter the correct amount for ward missionary). Then click save. MLS will bring up a box asking the reason for the change. Enter something that will make sense to others because it will show that reason on the donor's statement.

When you go to close the window for this batch you'll be prompted to print the batch report again. Go ahead and print it to file with the original paperwork from the day the donation was first recorded. As long as this correction doesn't affect the total dollar amount of the deposit you can make these kinds of changes without a phone call to headquarters. Use the same procedure if you need to change the donor name (for example, a donation was recorded correctly in every way except it was credited to the wrong donor).
gwagley

Post by gwagley »

Thanks for the replies y'all. I will fix this today. It shouldn't change the total submitted for the batch so I won't need to call. Thanks for mentioning that point. I really appreciate the help.
mabasasf

Re: how to use MLS to correct donation errors

Post by mabasasf »

Hi can i ask is it wise to add old donations on the MLS as we have just receive the computer after 6 months of our Unit inception..and must back date the donation according to the date of the slip?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

mabasasf wrote:Hi can i ask is it wise to add old donations on the MLS as we have just receive the computer after 6 months of our Unit inception..and must back date the donation according to the date of the slip?
All donations must be recorded somewhere. If you were sharing another ward's computer, then those records should make their way to your computer eventually.

Or did you go 6 months without recording donations?
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
brjones14

Post by brjones14 »

We have a family member from out of town that contributed to a grandson's missionary fund. The family member mistakenly put the missionary's name on the slip so it appeared that the missionary made the contribution. This was in 2016. Now the family member caught the mistake and would like us to correct it and put the family member as the doner so that we can send a tax statement.

Batch total would stay the same, but name of person making the donation would change completely and we'd need to generate a tax statement.

Same process as above? Will the tax statement automatically generate?

thanks!
seanmthompson

Post by seanmthompson »

brjones14 wrote:We have a family member from out of town that contributed to a grandson's missionary fund. The family member mistakenly put the missionary's name on the slip so it appeared that the missionary made the contribution. This was in 2016. Now the family member caught the mistake and would like us to correct it and put the family member as the doner so that we can send a tax statement.

Batch total would stay the same, but name of person making the donation would change completely and we'd need to generate a tax statement.

Same process as above? Will the tax statement automatically generate?

thanks!

Looking for this answer (new tax statement generation), so I'm jumping on to the thread to get an alert if someone posts an answer. I'll message you if I find something.
petergiftaniekan

Post by petergiftaniekan »

How can i delete a wrong donation that has been authorize
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

petergiftaniekan wrote:How can i delete a wrong donation that has been authorize
Any change to a donation batch that will affect the total batch amount or if the donation is in another fiscal year will have to be done by church headquarters. You would need to either call the Global Service Center (GSC) or send a message through MLS to the finance department. The same procedure would apply to delete a member donation done online. Note that processed donations generally cannot be returned. Individual circumstances will determine whether cancelling an online donation is possible. I have not heard of a donation submitted through MLS being returned.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?

Return to “Local Unit Finance”