Service-In-Kind Receipt for Missionary Housing

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
dajoker

Service-In-Kind Receipt for Missionary Housing

Post by dajoker »

This is semi-kinda-but-not-really related to https://tech.lds.org/forum/showthread.p ... mbursement which is about how to actually reimburse for missionary housing. That part has been working well all year from the reimbursed expenses category, missionary housing subcategory, as stated in the wiki.

Where life gets interesting is that the person providing these services is now being told, by their accountant, that other clients of that accountant also get a receipt showing service in-kind. For example, the person providing housing gets a certain dollar amount per month for increased utilities and expenses which is the norm, but above that amount apparently the accountant says a receipt stating how much "service" was given beyond those increased expenses should be provided, basically for the foregone rent revenue. The member in this case resides in the home which also houses the missionaries so this is not a case of a separate dwelling. I have already called LUS and they do not know what I'm talking about, so I'm going where I should have gone first and asking my question:

Is there any policy or accepted practice stating that those providing "service" in the form of missionary housing should receive a receipt showing the amount of that service besides receive the monthly monetary checks for increased utilities and expenses? This, I am told by the person providing the housing, is supposed to be a form/receipt similar to what one would receive if donating a car or other asset to the Church.

My next step is to go and ask the accountant what this looks like and where it came from, and then ask the people providing those receipts where they found those forms and authorization to do as much, but if this is a standard practice of which I am simply not aware please share the knowledge.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

As far as I am aware, only Church headquarters issues receipts for in-kind contributions to the Church, and they do not contain a value.

I can see why the member is requesting this, but I doubt the Church has anything in place to accommodate this at this point, unless headquarters has something of which I am not aware.
dajoker

Post by dajoker »

Agreed on all points, and HQ didn't seem to know much about it. Perhaps as another way to tackle this, are there any links to paperwork that may be used between the parties involved (church/missionaries and housing provider) which would define what is given for the housing service explicitly? I'll ask around once people are back in town but if those are available I wouldn't mind perusing it so that I have as much information as possible.

Thanks for the reply,
AB
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

You mentioned talking to LUS, have to spoken to the Missionary Department directly? If not, I'd call them. You might also call the mission office and speak to them about it.
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
dajoker

Post by dajoker »

Ah... yes, of course. This is why I post here. Thank-you for the suggestion. I'll see if I can find their number in case they're familiar with the practice.

Thanks,
AB
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

dajoker wrote:Ah... yes, of course. This is why I post here. Thank-you for the suggestion. I'll see if I can find their number in case they're familiar with the practice.

The Missionary Department is at 801-240-2222 (or you can always use the toll-free number and choose extension x22222).
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
scooter_sj

Re: Service-In-Kind Receipt for Missionary Housing

Post by scooter_sj »

@dajoker did you ever get an answer for how to do this?

Return to “Local Unit Finance”