How to pay tithing online?

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
jaredgj

How to pay tithing online?

Post by jaredgj »

How does a member pay their tithing online once they have an lds.org member account?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

jaredgj wrote:How does a member pay their tithing online once they have an lds.org member account?
In the most countries, including the United States and Canada, there is currently no way to pay tithing online using an LDS Account. Some countries in Europe do have means for making online donations, but I don't know the details. In such areas I imagine the stake and ward clerks are familiar with the procedures.

There have been hints that such a capability may become available some time in the future for the US and Canada, but those are only hints, and I really doubt that it would come very soon.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
jwnice

Post by jwnice »

Members can set up payment via check with their financial institution. We get several of these every week.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

jwnice wrote:Members can set up payment via check with their financial institution. We get several of these every week.

Yes, but that puts the burden on the local unit to make up the tithing slip and guess where the amounts go. Better to have it sent to your home address and you can turn it in with the slip.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
geekiemommie

Post by geekiemommie »

We do it this way: http://mormonlifehacker.com/pay-your-tithing-online/

It sent straight to headquarters :) Just easier for us than trying to find a member of the bishopric at church all the time :)
wrigjef

Post by wrigjef »

brendalisa wrote:We do it this way: http://mormonlifehacker.com/pay-your-tithing-online/

It sent straight to headquarters :) Just easier for us than trying to find a member of the bishopric at church all the time :)

I believe the church frowns on members using this (it not being on a church owned domian and the word "hacker" in the address should be clues) because it puts a large manpower burden on a small staff.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

brendalisa wrote:We do it this way: http://mormonlifehacker.com/pay-your-tithing-online/

Did you see the note at the top?
We’ve been contacted by the Church Donations Department and asked to remove the links to the Electronic Donation Information form, among other things. This method of payment apparently wasn’t intended to be used by the general membership of the Church.
While it's automatic for you, the problem is it's not automatic for CHQ. That process was intended for exceptional situations such as service members serving a a war zone.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

Note the "UPDATE: PLEASE READ" box at that linked site.

When there is not a special circumstances need you are placing an unnecessary burden on those who manually process those electronic donations. There is manual processing to connect the donations to the membership number.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
geekiemommie

Post by geekiemommie »

Oh, I had no idea! I thought I was making it easier for them. I guess we'll just go back to the old way of doing it. Thanks for the heads up!
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

brendalisa wrote:Oh, I had no idea! I thought I was making it easier for them. I guess we'll just go back to the old way of doing it. Thanks for the heads up!

There are many who would like to be able to pay tithing electronically. In the U.S., we just are not yet there.

For those who really do not want to write checks, if you will look back in post 4 of this thread, you will find what I think is the best way to do this, without placing any additional burden on the ward clerk and bishopric. Use your bank bill pay system and have the check mailed to your home, then slip it into a tithing envelope with a prepared donation slip, and give it to the bishopric.

You didn't have to write the check, and the clerk did not have to fill out the donation slip.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”