Windows XP end/computer upgrades

Discussions around the setup, operation, replacement, and disposal of clerk computers, not to include using MLS
craiggsmith

Windows XP end/computer upgrades

Post by craiggsmith »

I guess end of life for XP has been extended to April 2014, so most of our computers will be upgraded by that time. But I still have a few that won't, and they will need more RAM for Windows 7 (they have 1G). Since the wards are already complaining about speed, I was thinking of upgrading the RAM now, but with the discussion about computer purchases being facilities' responsibility I'm not sure I'm supposed to. I have some RAM from some similar but slightly older computers but it's a slower speed, and I guess that sometimes works but not always. RAM is cheap; is this something I should just get or ask facilities for?
Craig
South Jordan, UT
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

craiggsmith wrote:But I still have a few that won't, and they will need more RAM for Windows 7 (they have 1G).

Do they have stickers for Windows 7? If not, then I wouldn't bet on upgrading them.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
rolandc

Post by rolandc »

End of XP cycle? Does that mean all XP computer will suddenly stop working?

I still have an old win95 machine that still works.

I just cannot believe Microsoft would do that.

;)
Roland
rolandc

Post by rolandc »

Clean XP reinstalls usually speed thins up alot, most computers get cluutered up over the years. Nothing like a clean install.

craiggsmith wrote:I guess end of life for XP has been extended to April 2014, so most of our computers will be upgraded by that time. But I still have a few that won't, and they will need more RAM for Windows 7 (they have 1G). Since the wards are already complaining about speed, I was thinking of upgrading the RAM now, but with the discussion about computer purchases being facilities' responsibility I'm not sure I'm supposed to. I have some RAM from some similar but slightly older computers but it's a slower speed, and I guess that sometimes works but not always. RAM is cheap; is this something I should just get or ask facilities for?
Roland
craiggsmith

Post by craiggsmith »

No, they aren't licensed for 7. I was assuming they would just buy licenses, but maybe they will replace them earlier than normal.

The issue is not that they will stop working of course, but Microsoft won't support security updates for them. For security reasons it is general practice among companies not to use something that is not supported. You can do whatever you want at home.
Craig
South Jordan, UT
craiggsmith

Post by craiggsmith »

rolandc wrote:Clean XP reinstalls usually speed thins up alot, most computers get cluutered up over the years. Nothing like a clean install.
Yes, I am going to try that. Of course, the software is not available from the church to do this.

But I usually only see slowdowns when people have installed a bunch of software, and these computers don't have anything but the standard software.
Craig
South Jordan, UT
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

craiggsmith wrote:No, they aren't licensed for 7. I was assuming they would just buy licenses, but maybe they will replace them earlier than normal.
If we allowed gambling, we just might have started a pool to guess what would happen. :D Me, I have no idea. I wouldn't be a bit surprised but what we'd have to use Vista until the full 5 years were up.

craiggsmith wrote:Yes, I am going to try that. Of course, the software is not available from the church to do this.
I believe the CDs came with each machine. However, they do get lost.

But much of the slowdown has been blamed on Sophos updates. If you can get the machines to boot early, then everything is fine.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
rolandc

Post by rolandc »

All you need is the drivers for the machine (look for driver folder) and the license key on the tag for the machine. XP Pro is XP pro. as long a you know its clean.

Set the machines to go to sleep after five hours of non use and the AV or other updates will hardly ever be noticed
craiggsmith wrote:Yes, I am going to try that. Of course, the software is not available from the church to do this.

But I usually only see slowdowns when people have installed a bunch of software, and these computers don't have anything but the standard software.
Roland
craiggsmith

Post by craiggsmith »

Good thing we don't gamble 'cause I know I would lose!

It is true that Sophos can slow a machine dramatically, especially when it's scanning or updating. I'll have to test this one out but I don't think that was the case. Fortunately I was was able to find someone who had an XP pro disc, but ordinarily I would have had no source for one. None of the 9 machines I have received have had OS discs.
Craig
South Jordan, UT
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

craiggsmith wrote:None of the 9 machines I have received have had OS discs.

Did they come with any? I think sometimes the disk is disguised as something else. Perhaps a "restore" disk with the manufacturer's name.

Return to “Clerk Computers”