Christmas Devotional archive posting

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
bradh

Christmas Devotional archive posting

Post by bradh »

Does anyone know when the Christmas devotional will be available for download? Or what would be the best way to recorded to show later? I've been asked to show it an hour after the live broadcast.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

bradh wrote:I've been asked to show it an hour after the live broadcast.

I'd suggest you tape it from the satellite broadcast. I wouldn't count on it being in the archive that quickly.

When you say "an hour" are you saying an hour after it's start time or it's end time? If the start time, then that's going to be tricky. It's an hour long. It will take a quick turn around, but it can be done.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
JamesAnderson

Post by JamesAnderson »

Usually takes until the next day to get some material up, in a couple days or more all of it will be up in all online and downloadable audio/video formats that broadcasts are usually made available in. However, it is never completed that night.

Postings are also made to other media sites where they also post such as Roku or Youtube, but there it takes a little longer, sometimes several days to a week.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

bradh wrote:Does anyone know when the Christmas devotional will be available for download? Or what would be the best way to recorded to show later? I've been asked to show it an hour after the live broadcast.

The live broadcast usually lasts 75-90 minutes and is usually followed by a repeat that begins two hours after the first broadcast started.

If you are trying to record and show it in between the two (one hour after the start of the live broadcast, while the live broadcast is still in progress), I would suggest you use two recorders.

First, record about 50-55 minutes of the program. At that point, start the second recorder, and as soon as you know it is recording, stop the first one, rewind or reset it for the delayed showing, and begin your delayed program at the set time.

The live satellite feed will end while the first part of the program is showing. Have that tape or DVD ready to go and quickly swap it out at the correct point when the first part ends.

If you are careful and diligent, there may be a point at the 50-55 mark where there is a change in speakers or the beginning or end of a musical number. If you start the second recorder at that point, you can make the swap during the delayed showing right at that transition, and, while it takes a few seconds to swap the video tape or DVD, the exchange will not be as abrupt, because it will be at a natural breaking point in the original program.

Old television network broadcasting tape delay trick. No charge.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

lajackson wrote:The live broadcast usually lasts 75-90 minutes and is usually followed by a repeat that begins two hours after the first broadcast started.
I had remembered it as being one hour, but a look at the last 3 years shows that it's had a running time of 65 to 70 minutes. Yes, there is usually a rebroadcast that starts 2 hours after the start of the live broadcast. (6PM and 8PM MST)

lajackson wrote:If you are trying to record and show it in between the two (one hour after the start of the live broadcast, while the live broadcast is still in progress), I would suggest you use two recorders.
Or find a DVR. <g>

Another plan might be to simply delay the event 15 minutes or so. Perhaps have the SP give a short devotional.

While it's possible to record the live stream (as opposed to the satellite feed), I'd do extensive testing and have a backup plan. It easy for it to go wrong.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
ggllbb

Post by ggllbb »

This is a bit different than the OP, but I thought it might be useful or interesting.

We like to show the devotional in conjunction with a Christmas social/dinner, so we don't show it on the Sunday it is broadcast. For most units, this would not be a problem, but our branch is about 70% English speaking and 30% Spanish speaking. For a normal satellite broadcast, I run the English audio into the sound system and the Spanish audio into the translation headset transmitter.

Since we show it delayed, that is not possible. To solve that issue, I record the broadcast live on tape and feed the English audio into the right stereo channel on the recorder and the Spanish audio into the left channel. When I play it back, the right channel goes to the sound system and left to the translation transmitter.

I'm glad this issue came up, because I reminds me to be sure and test this before the broadcast.

Return to “General Discussions”