Can't print checks

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
jhardy355

Can't print checks

Post by jhardy355 »

We were recently upgraded to 3.5. I wrote some checks and saved each one as it was written like normal. I hit the Next button and on the next screen there was no option to print/authorize checks. All I saw was the list of checks written for the expense report and the option to print the report. I could not find a way to print the checks so we finally decided to hand write the checks. The checks I entered seemed to have been transmitted correctly but I could not print them.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

Just to be clear let's go through the steps and the tabs with buttons on each tab.
  1. Open Enter Expenses
  2. Enter the expense information on the Expense tab and click the Save button for each expense
  3. Click the "Next>" button to continue to the "Print Checks" tab.
  4. Check the check box for each check listed to be printed or click the "Select All" button if all checks are to be printed.
  5. Click the "Print/Authorize" button while still on the "Print Checks" tab.
  6. Once all checks have printed the "Report" tab should automatically be selected and the report printed.
Are you saying that when you clicked the "Next>" button in step 3 that MLS took you to the "Report" tab in step 6? Or, after clicking the "Next>" button in step 3 that MLS took you to the "Print Checks" tab as it should except there was no "Print/Authorize" button and no check boxes next to each expense? Was there even a "Print checks" tab at all?
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
jhardy355

Post by jhardy355 »

jdlessley wrote:Just to be clear let's go through the steps and the tabs with buttons on each tab.
  1. Open Enter Expenses
  2. Enter the expense information on the Expense tab and click the Save button for each expense
  3. Click the "Next>" button to continue to the "Print Checks" tab.
  4. Check the check box for each check listed to be printed or click the "Select All" button if all checks are to be printed.
  5. Click the "Print/Authorize" button while still on the "Print Checks" tab.
  6. Once all checks have printed the "Report" tab should automatically be selected and the report printed.
Are you saying that when you clicked the "Next>" button in step 3 that MLS took you to the "Report" tab in step 6? Or, after clicking the "Next>" button in step 3 that MLS took you to the "Print Checks" tab as it should except there was no "Print/Authorize" button and no check boxes next to each expense? Was there even a "Print checks" tab at all?

Yes, after clicking the "Next" tab it went from step 3 to step 6. I never saw the check box page.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

If the "Print checks" tab exists then it sounds like the program just skipped the tab. You could click on the "Print checks" tab to complete steps 4 & 5.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
jhardy355

Post by jhardy355 »

jdlessley wrote:If the "Print checks" tab exists then it sounds like the program just skipped the tab. You could click on the "Print checks" tab to complete steps 4 & 5.

I don't see any Print checks tab anywhere. On the left side of the screen are "Expense" and "Report"
Is it possible that when our computer was upgraded to 3.5 that somehow the option to print checks was turned off?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

You may want to have someone download MLS and re-install the full package on your machine. That sometimes clears up oddities.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jhardy355

Post by jhardy355 »

RussellHltn wrote:You may want to have someone download MLS and re-install the full package on your machine. That sometimes clears up oddities.
I just talked with someone in Salt lake and she said that it might take some time for the upgrade to fully complete and that we should keep sending and receiving info from the church and eventually that part of the program will complete downloading. Otherwise we might try your option.
jhardy355

Post by jhardy355 »

I was right earlier. The check printing option was not selected. The 3.5 upgrade must have turned it off. I went into Edit/System Options/Finances/ and checked the print checks box. Now the Print checks tab shows up in the Expense section.
Salt Lake should be told about this in case others have this problem.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”