Suggestion: Moving Records - Populated Data

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
mwgrover

Suggestion: Moving Records - Populated Data

Post by mwgrover »

Disclaimer: I haven't upgraded to 3.5 yet so I don't know if this is part of the new release.

There is something about moving membership records out which has always annoyed me slightly. It is that the phone numbers and email addresses do not pre-populate in the move screens. If the clerk is not conscientious enough to go back to the membership record while he is in the process of moving the record, and copies the phone number and email address, this information is lost. I have received numerous records from other wards that provide an address only.

These days, many people do not change their phone number when they move since they are using their cell phone as their primary number. And email addresses almost never change with a move. Those are valuable items of information to have when trying to contact new members.

I would like to suggest that when a record is being moved, that the phone numbers and email addresses on the membership record automatically transfer with the record. This would help out clerks receiving the records, and avoid the problem of clerks forgetting to send that information with the record when moving the record out.
greggo

Post by greggo »

This has always annoyed me as well.

I believe I posted this in another thread long ago, but I suggested that we the default new address, phone, etc. be the current data and then just edit as necessary. It would surely make things easier when moving out records of those who do not live within the ward/branch boundaries.

Back in the MIS days, I would use the boundary realignment option to do this, but I don't think this will work with MLS.
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

Boundary realignment still worked with MLS 3.4, but I am no longer the clerk so can't check with MLS 3.5. The only problem with boundary realignment is the sending Clerk needs to know the new ward. I can't tell you how many times I had to re-send out membership records that were incorrectly dumped in our ward by a clerk who THOUGHT they know the correct ward (our boundaries were changed from N-S to E-W which was a huge difference and these wards were using out-of-date boundary information previously provided by the stake).

With LDS.org, it is very easy for a clerk to check the correct ward for a new address to they can put members in the correct ward.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”