Turn Around

Discussions about the Ward Directory and Map tool on churchofjesuschrist.org.
RichardsED

Turn Around

Post by RichardsED »

Hey!

TWo questions. (1) How do we know if someone in the Central OFfice has really seen a petition we've made and (2) what is the general turn around time to get bugs worked out?

I don't want to get another penalty for posting the same question twice (now knowing how to delete the first post before I posted my second attempt at a reply got me a demerit, or whatever they call the penalty points) but I was wondering about possible turn around time for the *known* issue with photos in a ward directory.

Could someone speak to that?

Thanks in advance,
eric
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

You can tell for certain that someone at CHQ has seen an issue if:
  • A Church employee posts a comment in the thread. You can identify an employee by the badge icon below their user name on a post. The most active employees around here are LisaAn, kyleq, and jonesrk.
  • Or, if a moderator or administrator says something in a post like "I've brought this to the developers' attention." That would generally be posted by RussellHltn, jdlessley, or me.
The turnaround time is not anything any of us can predict. Sometimes problems get fixed within a week; sometimes a problem is acknowledged and still isn't fixed a year later. The Church has limited development resources, and although the developers make tremendous progress each year, there are many products to maintain and create. So they have to prioritize issues, and their priorities won't match any our particular preferences exactly.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

The issue you are concerned with in regard to photos not printing for the Directory has been acknowledged by LisaAn in post #4 in the Household photo not being shown on ward directory print out thread.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

Richardsed wrote:Hey!

TWo questions. (1) How do we know if someone in the Central OFfice has really seen a petition we've made and (2) what is the general turn around time to get bugs worked out?

Eric,

The truth of the matter is that the 'Central Office' works on priorities that are unavailable to the end users or super users of the system. We must adopt a 'shrugged shoulders' approach to when the issues that are brought up will be addresses. If you use the Feedback mechanism there is no guarantee that you'll be contacted or informed that the bug was acknowledged or logged (sometimes it happens for me, and sometimes not)... if you use the tech board here there is a likelihood that it will be acknowledged, but as for timelines, these are unavailable to us. We are also not generally made aware when minor fixes are published either. This has been a minor annoyance of mine for a while now.

In other areas I've been told to just adopt a funny saying like 'Your guess is as good as mine' and move on with a smile and a happy face, re-direct them to other awesome areas of LDS.org or whatever...
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
mevans

Post by mevans »

While we don't know the priorities, we've seen comments from church employees about some features in forthcoming versions of the Directory and Lesson Schedules. Therefore, it's my completely uneducated guess that these will be the next applications to see updates. I'd guess we'll see Lesson Schedules first, since it hasn't yet been updated for 2013 and this is blocking everyone using the tool from planning 2013 lessons. They are aware of the PDF photo problem. I'm pretty sure it would be fixed in the next version of the Directory, maybe sooner.
RichardsED

Post by RichardsED »

Thanks everyone! Much appreciated.

Eric

Return to “Ward Directory and Map”