Super user status

Discussions about the Ward Directory and Map tool on churchofjesuschrist.org.
WWS36

Super user status

Post by WWS36 »

To: LisAn (You have been so helpful in the past)
I'm not sure where to put this 'problem', but in the 'old days' (last year) on the old system I was a Super user and a Stake Webmaster and I could see all my wards and I could upload photos at will.
The new system really limits Stake Webmasters power and authority. I was recently 'barred' from upload photos at all until Ward Assitant Clerk was added to my callings. As it is, if I get a Stake members photo I have to send it to his/her respective Ward Clerk and it may or may not ever get done. Frustrating! Also various Ward leaders call me and ask to get their permissions right and I cannot. I have to rely on the respective Ward Clerk and again it may or may not ever get done!
lisaan
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by lisaan »

The decisions about what role can do what task inside Directory is dictated to us by the brethren in Salt Lake. As you point out, a lot of the functionality has been put on the ward level. Stake clerks can edit personal information but not photos. Ward clerks can edit both personal information and photos along with approving photos. Also, in a world wide church, we here in the U.S. often have to put up with restrictions that are required in Europe, Asia and the Middle East.
I can forward your comments on to those who make these decisions and we can see what they say. In the mean time, it would help if you let us know what situation a stake clerk (as opposed to a ward clerk) would be in that would require him to have the rights to upload and manage photos.
Regards,
LisaAn
QA Engineer
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

LisaAn wrote:In the mean time, it would help if you let us know what situation a stake clerk (as opposed to a ward clerk) would be in that would require him to have the rights to upload and manage photos.

I would think the stake would have an interest in having photos of ward and stake leaders loaded into the directory. They may even want a uniform look to the photos which would necessitate one operation do all the photos. So the ability to upload individual photos would be very helpful at the stake level. (Unless you want to add a separate "leadership" photo.)
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

RussellHltn wrote:I would think the stake would have an interest in having photos of ward and stake leaders loaded into the directory. They may even want a uniform look to the photos which would necessitate one operation do all the photos. So the ability to upload individual photos would be very helpful at the stake level. (Unless you want to add a separate "leadership" photo.)
Although I can see how that could be useful, you could make the same argument at the ward level. You could say that individual photos within a household, or within an organization, or within a ward should have a uniform look. If both stake and ward clerks are playing in the same sandbox, so to speak, will they step on each other's toes? Who wins in case of conflict?

There are all sorts of things where a stake could be tempted to "just handle it", but for the most part that's not the way the organization of the Church works. A stake YM president doesn't direct what the ward YM president does; same for YW, Primary, RS. Even the stake president, who does have the authority to direct what is to be done within his stake, will generally work through the ward organizations for much of what happens within the stake.

A stake clerk has a responsibility to make sure that ward clerks are trained and instructed to keep membership records up to date. But he doesn't record baptisms, or AP ordinations, or ward callings, etc. Yes, there are a few cases where a stake clerk is allowed to make changes directly (such as an email address in the Directory for a household or individual), but I think it is much better in most cases to have a clear responsibility for changes related to membership records at the ward level. The stake president directs, the stake clerk trains and follows up, but the wards implement. I think that this philosophy applies to uploading of photos as well.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
TinMan

Post by TinMan »

LisaAn,

I can only give you my reason: But first, I understand what aebrown wrote. His reasoning is flawless.

However:

One reason stake clerks may need the editing power for photos is this: It is more important to them. The stake has been trying for a year or so to get my ward members to upload their photos. I know what everyone in my ward looks like. I don't need the photos. They do. So it isn't that big of a priority to me to get what they want done. Yep. I don't always do everything they ask me to do. We will eventually get to it. Maybe. When my clerks have time not doing things that I think are more important. Much of my ward is not capable of uploading their own photos. That means we have to do it during tithing settlement or something. Many of them have the "I will never allow my picture on the internet" attitude. It takes time to explain that the church website is very secure. "So was my money in my IRA." etc. It just isn't that high of a priority to me to push it. To illustrate that, they finally came and took my picture so they could put it in their stake directory. Because I haven't every put it on the website.

Yeah, there is probably something really wrong in this attitude. Maybe they will release me?
lisaan
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by lisaan »

Yes, thanks to aebrown for his eloquent explanation of what should be happening. I also understand why people, especially those of us who are not terribly photogenic, don't want their picture on the ward directory. I believe in our ward we are going to deal with this during tithing settlement and the clerks will upload the photos then for those people who can't or won't take care of it.
QA Engineer
WWS36

Post by WWS36 »

The Tinman makes so very good points about the "I will never allow my picture on the internet" attitude. I have been fighting that even tho the members might already have their photo on FaceBook. The reason I desire to do the uploads for the Stake is because I was a 'Super User' in the Old System and could do it then. I now have to rely on 9 WC's to upload pictures even if I SEND THEM TO THEM. There is a TON of inertia in the Church. And I thank aebrown for his eloquent explanation of what SHOULD be happening, but these WC's are busy men and things don't always get on the priority list. Another interesting thing is that Webmaster is never mentioned in the Bible or BofM, meaning that we try to base our church on a theological model. That is good, but when the Stake Family visits wards for their Ward Conferences, I am County Cousin and am never invited to go or recognized or introduced as 'Stake Family'. That is not a 'Poor Baby' complaint on my part, it just points out the learning curve we face over the next few yrs. Perhaps we march in the wilderness for the FULL 30+ yrs???
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

WWS36 wrote:The reason I desire to do the uploads for the Stake is because I was a 'Super User' in the Old System and could do it then.
To what old system are you referring? Photo capabilities did not exist for the directory in the classic LUWS. Even the first release of the current directory did not have photo capabilities. Perhaps you are thinking of some other website?
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

jdlessley wrote:Photo capabilities did not exist for the directory in the classic LUWS.

I beg to differ. It indeed had photo abilities.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

Since the OP was discussing uploading members photos I assumed that is what he was referring. Granted there was the ability for a household or missionary photo but there was no capability for individual photos. My mind was stuck on the individual photo issue. Sorry I made a blanket statement about all photos that was not correct.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?

Return to “Ward Directory and Map”