Why wireless

Using the Church Webcasting System, YouTube, etc. Including cameras and mixers.
farwest

Why wireless

Post by farwest »

Been reading a lot of the posts and I'm a bit confused about wireless in our buildings. I've tried to show video's with wireless and they all stall several times before the video is done. So I decide I will download the video from the mormon channel so I'm not dealing with the wireless. Using a new Ipad hook up the cord with rca connections. I have audio no video so I try my friend Ipad same thing. Go home hook Ipad to my new Samsung with rca hookup sound no video. Then I hook my Ipad with my HDMI cord bravo video and sound. Haul TV to church next day account all tv's in library have no hdmi hookup. My wife is happy because she now can show the video to her class. I'm frustrated because I know the new curriculum is coming out and teachers are going to want to show video's and they are not going to be able to use the wireless because it is going to stall out and they are going to decide it is not worth the trouble. We are looking for answers and there seems to be lots of ideas posted but shouldn't there be a standard that works. it shouldn't be such a hassle to show media. Any suggestions would be appreciated because 2013 is coming at us fast.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

Wireless can certainly be plenty fast to show videos with no stalling. But a variety of factors could cause problems.

Before you blame wireless, you might try the same experiment, at the same time of day on a Sunday, but with a wired connection. If you have the same problems, then your problem is likely your ISP bandwidth, or possibly your firewall or other network hardware.

If you get smooth playback using a wired connection, then the problem could be with your wireless access points, or the weakness of your signal. You could try to eliminate that option by trying the experiment when your device is very close to a wireless access point and thus has a very strong wireless connection.

I know it sounds like it would be wonderful to have super fast wireless networks and capable multimedia hardware in all our buildings, but that would cost several thousand dollars per building for over ten thousand buildings. I think we're going to have to be patient while these solutions are gradually deployed.

There's nothing about the 2013 curriculum that requires a network connection. Sure, it would be convenient, but wonderful gospel teaching was done long before there was electricity, so we can make do with some limitations.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

farwest wrote:I've tried to show video's with wireless and they all stall several times before the video is done.
It could be a wireless issue. It may be a Internet bandwidth issue at the chapel. I wouldn't rule out a server-side bandwidth issue.

farwest wrote:Using a new Ipad hook up the cord with rca connections. I have audio no video so I try my friend Ipad same thing. Go home hook Ipad to my new Samsung with rca hookup sound no video.
I have to think something is wrong with the cable or the way it plugged in. That should be straightforward.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

aebrown wrote:There's nothing about the 2013 curriculum that requires a network connection. Sure, it would be convenient, but wonderful gospel teaching was done long before there was electricity, so we can make do with some limitations.
That wasn't actually what was in the initial post. The post referred to YM and YW leaders and advisors wanting to play these videos the church is providing and SUGGESTING be used in the new curriculum. Gospel Teaching is fluid, effective teaching always is - it's not about the person who is preparing the lesson, it is about those the lesson is being presented to. This is the reason, IMHO, why we have SO MUCH effort at CHQ towards developing 3-5 minute narrations / emphasis - usage of online media. Gospel Teaching is being transformed in this area, the desire to reach a new generation.

We should need to make due with some limitations. Those limitations should include, physical resources like there isn't a TV or there may be 1 or 2 rooms in the meetinghouse where it isn't possible to show the videos due to various reasons. If the Internet Connection is down that day, yes. But the expectation should be that it is available and usable, just like the lights. Plenty of gospel teaching was done well without electricity it is true, but we're not cutting off the power to our meetinghouses to save FMG budgets. We're not implementing power only is SOME parts of the building to save money. We still have heat and air conditioning, indoor plumbing, etc...

The Church KNEW this was coming, this is why the Presiding Bishopric put together a 3 year strategy to put in place Internet Connectivity and Networking gear and equipment in ALL meetinghouses across in 2011, 2012, 2013 - (And every new meetinghouse starting in 2012 is getting building FULL coverage). There was obviously a budget or pool of Money set-aside for this purpose and FMG's were supposed to have been implementing this technology across the Stakes they serve.

I am saddened by the actions of my own FMG group, I'm not sure why or how the information didn't make it all the way to the bottom - I knew it was coming, our Stake Presidency knew it was coming, and we agitated a bit for it. They're smart fellers and knew the money would run dry. What is going to happen to the large majority (if I understand how things work correctly in FMG) of budget is in 2013 for this - I think we're going to see about 1/2 year worth and then it will dry up, the money will be gone and some meetinghouses will be left in the dust.
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
farwest

Post by farwest »

When I tried to run videos it was on a saturday night no one else in the building, I'm in the room next to the 881 I have full strenght, speedtest,net shows over a 10 meg download speed. So what type of speed do you need to have these video's work. The youtube option works good at home because the video can load in advance. I know we don't need video's to teach the gospel but it seems there has been a lot of priority to get internet access in the buildings. It either needs to work or not have it because those that are teaching are frustrated because they assume it will work then it doesn't. We just want to find the best solution to help those teachers have all the tools available to share the gospel. We are checking out the connection but so far it shows 15 meg at the modem, we lose a couple of meg through the firewall. The people I serve with really love this site because it has answered so many questions that are not available else where. Thanks
Paulbb1

Post by Paulbb1 »

I am very concerned about this issue. It is our responsibility to support the direction we told to follow by the leaders of the Church.

We have an FMG that took the instructions to put an 881W in each building with Comcast as ISP if available seriously. The task has been completed and maybe the entire region they support. I don't trust wireless to be reliable every time it it is used. In other places in these forums it has been recommended to download the video to a device that can play it back to a TV. Buy the way I was told that each building should at least have one LCD TV that will accept computer input i.e. HDMI or VGA. We have three in our stake center, two big ones and one small.

Here is my question. Where are the instructions for PC's and Apple's (software list and step buy step) as to how to download the video and play it to which I can refer the teachers? Not everyone including myself are downloading video's all the time. The students would know more than the teachers. If there is a thread please refer me to it and if not should we start one?
Arlan Beebe
Ann Arbor Stake
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

You might try this video it's a quick tour of the Mormon Channel Website and towards the end shows how to download a video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzsWRgkfsqM - This could work for most people with a little instruction on adaption to the https://medialibrary.lds.org
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

farwest wrote:When I tried to run videos it was on a saturday night no one else in the building, I'm in the room next to the 881 I have full strenght, speedtest,net shows over a 10 meg download speed.

Local interference is still possible, but it's starting to sound like a server-side issue.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

farwest wrote:So what type of speed do you need to have these video's work.
10 meg should be more than plenty.

You might wish to remember that an older laptop (or other device) may not have the horsepower (i.e. memory, usually) to run the video seamlessly. When everything else appears to be in order, this is still something that can put a wrench in the works.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

lajackson wrote:You might wish to remember that an older laptop (or other device) may not have the horsepower (i.e. memory, usually) to run the video seamlessly.

That's what pushed me into upgrading my laptop. Adobe Flash 10 did it in. I could no longer run videos without pausing. Even when I was using lower resolutions.

Return to “Non-Interactive Webcasting”