How long does it take to process a sync file?

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
craiggsmith

How long does it take to process a sync file?

Post by craiggsmith »

I have a computer that has been processing a sync file in MLS for over an hour -- it has the message "Updating finance ..." on screen. How long does this normally take? This machine is about 1.5 years old; I'm thinking something's not right.
Craig
South Jordan, UT
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

craiggsmith wrote:I have a computer that has been processing a sync file in MLS for over an hour -- it has the message "Updating finance ..." on screen. How long does this normally take? This machine is about 1.5 years old; I'm thinking something's not right.
Only a small number of minutes at most. If it's been going for an hour, there's definitely something wrong. I'm not sure what course of action to recommend, but I'm confident that waiting longer is not going to help at this point.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
craiggsmith

Post by craiggsmith »

OK, thanks. It's been 2 hours now. I was able to simply close the updating box. I tried another Send/Receive and it didn't download or process anything, so hopefully everything will be OK.
Craig
South Jordan, UT
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

craiggsmith wrote:OK, thanks. It's been 2 hours now. I was able to simply close the updating box. I tried another Send/Receive and it didn't download or process anything, so hopefully everything will be OK.
I think you'll be okay. What I like to do is to show the Send/Receive Status screen (F9). Then you can watch the processing of the files. When they have all changed color to show they have been processed, you can be confident the process is done, even if an "Updating" progress dialog box is still displayed.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
craiggsmith

Post by craiggsmith »

Thanks, I'll try that, I didn't know you could do that while a dialog box was displayed. At the bottom of the screen it had the file name displayed so it sure looked like it was still doing something. Thanks again.
Craig
South Jordan, UT
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

For many years, the MLS Updating progress dialog box has rarely closed for us, even when the updating is complete. I believe this is a display issue. Sometimes minimizing the MLS window and reopening it will cause the box to disappear if the processing is complete, but more often than not, we just close it after a few minutes.

Alan has provided a more certain way to determine if the file is processed. We have just been living dangerously, I guess. But, so far, there has not been a problem.
dajoker

Post by dajoker »

I, too, have seen this window get stuck, though infrequently and irregularly. Usually, in my case, it's the membership window. In every case I remember hitting the dialog's 'x' (to close) has had no noticeable adverse effects. Still, makes me twitch each time thinking I'm about to destroy the world by doing something I shouldn't.
AB
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

What is nice about MLS since version 3.1 is that an interruption in a data transfer is not supposed to cause problems. This was part of the data transfer enhancement that introduced the data transfer bar and the F9-show transfer window. I am not sure about MLS updates. If a user interrupts the transfer, or if there is an unexpected interruption, the transfer can be resumed by clicking send/receive changes again. The data transfer will resume where it left off. How that comes into play for the 3.5 upgrade I don't know.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
craiggsmith

Post by craiggsmith »

Thanks everyone, good to know. I'll check with some friends at the church today just to make sure but it sounds like we're probably fine.
Craig
South Jordan, UT

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”