Can't Remove Old Financial Statements

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
ckmcdonald

Can't Remove Old Financial Statements

Post by ckmcdonald »

I'm in the occasional practice of removing our old financial statements to keep the MLS backup size/time to a minimum. However, the past year or so of statements do not offer the "remove" option.

Is this normal?

I'd like to remove all but the last couple of months worth of statements but MLS won't let me.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

ckmcdonald wrote:I'm in the occasional practice of removing our old financial statements to keep the MLS backup size/time to a minimum. However, the past year or so of statements do not offer the "remove" option.

Is this normal?

I'd like to remove all but the last couple of months worth of statements but MLS won't let me.
Are you on MLS 3.5 yet? According to reports backup speed is much, much faster in 3.5 so you may not need to worry about this anymore.
ckmcdonald

Post by ckmcdonald »

No, not on 3.5 yet.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

ckmcdonald wrote:I'm in the occasional practice of removing our old financial statements to keep the MLS backup size/time to a minimum. However, the past year or so of statements do not offer the "remove" option.

Is this normal?

This is how MLS has worked since July or so. See a discussion of this very point starting here. There's an indication in this post that it may be a bug that the statements can't be removed, but I haven't seen any recent indications that anyone is working on it.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
dajoker

Post by dajoker »

I thought this was a feature, not a bug, at least for most financial stuff like IROPs. The need is present for MLS to store all financial data for three years for legal reasons. Maybe I'm insane, but I'm pretty sure that was in one of the updates sent out with an earlier version of MLS. Some things can still be deleted, but the actual IROPs at least should not be able to be deleted since they are the trail of expenses.

Anyway, the problem is significantly less now that backup times are drastically improved. As a reference point, our twenty-minute backups (72 MB) are down to about thirty seconds. Still kinda slow for the size, but at least now we're set for a couple of years of the same kind of growth and we're not up against a really bad bug with unbuffered disk writes during backups (which was the original problem).
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

dajoker wrote:I thought this was a feature, not a bug, at least for most financial stuff like IROPs. The need is present for MLS to store all financial data for three years for legal reasons.
The IROP in MLS may be the only data a unit has for the transaction if they do not print it. But the Unit Financial Statements must be printed for the clerk and the bishop to sign. That signed copy is what is retained to meet the retention requirement. Therefore the electronic copy is no longer needed.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
dajoker

Post by dajoker »

Sorry, must have missed that this only pertained to the month/quarter/whatever-end statements vs. all things under 'Financial Statements' within MLS. Crawling back into my hole now.
AB
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

dajoker wrote: Crawling back into my hole now.
No need for that. We all occasionally miss the topic mark. I have done this more than once. It is just a reminder that we are imperfect.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
ckmcdonald

Post by ckmcdonald »

Apparently v3.5 doesn't fix the "bug" that we can't remove old financial statements.
Nor did we notice any speedup in the backup time.
Anyone found a way to remove old statements without a "Remove" by them?
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

ckmcdonald wrote:Nor did we notice any speedup in the backup time.
Ours has gone from a little over three minutes to seven seconds.
ckmcdonald wrote:Anyone found a way to remove old statements without a "Remove" by them?
While we have had discussions in the forum about this, there has been no indication from any church employee that the ability to remove UFS will be forthcoming.
JD Lessley

Return to “Local Unit Finance”