Improperly formatted addresses won't display in Clerk Resources member edit page

Discussions about the Leader and Clerk Resources on lds.org.
rontilby

Improperly formatted addresses won't display in Clerk Resources member edit page

Post by rontilby »

Improperly formatted addresses won't display in Clerk Resources - Member Information > Edit or Maps on LDS.ORG.

We received a membership record with an incomplete/improperly formatted residential address.
(I think that the city and state are in the address2 field instead of the city and state fields)
It displays on lds.org > Clerk Resources > Member Lookup as follows:
205 Park hill Way
Salt Lake City UT,

If I click edit on the Clerk Resources - Member Information page, the Residential Address fields are blank.
Normally, the residential address fields are populated with current values.

The address was automatically geo-coded in the maps app, so the "Unverified Address" pointer is in roughly the correct spot.
But if I click the Household entry in the maps household list, the popup on the map shows the phone number, but no address.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

A long time ago, I believe it was when MLS first came out, there was a change in the way addresses were stored on membership records. They used to just have about 4 address lines, with no meaning assigned to each line. But then with the change, there were 2 address lines, city, state, postal code, and country.

Addresses that were in the old format had to be changed to be in the new format. If there were any addresses in the old format for a ward, there would be an Urgent Task in MLS that would say "Some addresses need to be converted into the new format." Clicking on that Urgent Task would take you to a feature that would help you convert those addresses that were still in the old format into the new format. That conversion feature is still part of MLS, as is the Urgent Task for this feature.

The reason for this walk down Memory Lane is that I wonder if this address is still in that ancient format, and some of the Church systems don't support that format, assuming that 8 years or so should be sufficient for clerks to see that Urgent Task and fix the format. You can easily verify if that hypothesis is correct by going into Urgent Tasks in MLS and seeing if there is a task as I describe above.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
rontilby

Post by rontilby »

I have used the address reformat process numerous times. The memberships that require address reformat are move-ins. Which implies a new address having been entered by somebody, either in MLS or in CMIS at headquarters. So it seems to me that addresses are still being created with the an incompatible format. I don't believe that they're hold-over values from 8 years ago.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

aebrown wrote:But then with the change, there were 2 address lines, city, state, postal code, and country.

I believe the format depends on the country. I would't be a bit suprised to see records pushed to the ward from outside the US could have that "old" format.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Leader and Clerk Resources”