MLS 3.5 vs 3.4.3 on failed password during login

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
dajoker

MLS 3.5 vs 3.4.3 on failed password during login

Post by dajoker »

Could somebody with an old (meaning current, 3.4.3, or earlier) version of MLS try logging in. Specify a valid username, then type an incorrect password. Get the prompt about how you did something bad. Where does your cursor go? In 3.5 it goes somewhere mysterious requiring two [Tab] presses to get to the Password field, and something in my memory tells me that is not how it used to be. If it has changed, it probably makes sense to change it back.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

dajoker wrote:Could somebody with an old (meaning current, 3.4.3, or earlier) version of MLS try logging in. Specify a valid username, then type an incorrect password. Get the prompt about how you did something bad. Where does your cursor go? In 3.5 it goes somewhere mysterious requiring two [Tab] presses to get to the Password field, and something in my memory tells me that is not how it used to be. If it has changed, it probably makes sense to change it back.
Your memory is good. I just tried this on a test installation of MLS 3.4.3, and when I enter an incorrect password, dismissing the "Invalid Entry" dialog box puts the focus back on the Password field (which has appropriately been blanked). It's exactly what should happen, in my opinion.

I don't have a 3.5 installation handy right now, but your report of what it does would certainly lead me to agree with you that it should be changed back to have the 3.4.3 functionality in this regard.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
dajoker

Post by dajoker »

Awesome; thanks for the confirmation. Any chance a developer will see this or should I try other, more-official routes?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

dajoker wrote:Awesome; thanks for the confirmation. Any chance a developer will see this or should I try other, more-official routes?

I passed it on to the developers.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
dajoker

Post by dajoker »

Perfect; thank-you for taking the time to do that. If they happen to release another pre-release version I'll try to post back with whether or not that is updated. My password is kinda long, so it's likely I'll notice it again when I fail to type it correctly.
krebsj
Church Employee
Church Employee

Can't Reproduce

Post by krebsj »

I can't reproduce in 3.5, please provide screen shots of what you are seeing.

Thanks!
aebrown wrote:Your memory is good. I just tried this on a test installation of MLS 3.4.3, and when I enter an incorrect password, dismissing the "Invalid Entry" dialog box puts the focus back on the Password field (which has appropriately been blanked). It's exactly what should happen, in my opinion.

I don't have a 3.5 installation handy right now, but your report of what it does would certainly lead me to agree with you that it should be changed back to have the 3.4.3 functionality in this regard.
R. Justin Krebs :)
MLS Product Manager
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

KrebsJ wrote:I can't reproduce in 3.5, please provide screen shots of what you are seeing.

Justin, I should have verified this personally before reporting it. Now that I've actually tried it on MLS 3.5, I can't see any problem -- it works just like it always has. It doesn't matter whether I click on OK or press Enter to dismiss the error dialog; the focus always returns to the Password field as it should

Dajoker, could you try this again and give us a screen shot or more detailed steps?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

aebrown wrote:Dajoker, could you try this again and give us a screen shot or more detailed steps?

The detail I'm most interested in is after typing the password, are you hitting "enter" or clicking the on-screen button?
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

RussellHltn wrote:The detail I'm most interested in is after typing the password, are you hitting "enter" or clicking the on-screen button?
I've tried them both -- exact same experience either way. Any combination of clicking the Log In button or pressing Enter, and then clicking OK or pressing Enter to dismiss the error dialog -- they all work just fine.
dajoker

Post by dajoker »

Well that's interesting. Either way for me... clicking on buttons or pressing [Enter] after the password, clicking on buttons or pressing [Enter] or [spacebar] to close the prompt about the bad password... either way my focus goes to somewhere impossible to see. Maybe it is just my computer after playing with a couple of these betas that has caused this (21021, or whatever is current, is my second beta version to be on here). I'll test on another machine and possibly reinstall to see if that makes a difference.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”