Ward E-mail broadcast

Discussions about the Ward Directory and Map tool on churchofjesuschrist.org.
SaraSlack

Ward E-mail broadcast

Post by SaraSlack »

As the Ward Website Administrator, I am often asked to broadcast information via e-mail to the ward members. How do I do that from the newer version of the Ward Website? I still use that function on the "Classic" website.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

You can send to "all adults" from the directory.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
kfletch

Post by kfletch »

As an administrator, I'm able to email ALL of the auxiliaries. When I try to email all the adults, nothing happens. Any suggestions?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

kfletch wrote:As an administrator, I'm able to email ALL of the auxiliaries. When I try to email all the adults, nothing happens. Any suggestions?
The email feature from the directory uses your default email client. That might be Outlook, or GMail (if configured properly), or any other email application. The Directory sends the list of email addresses to that email client. Since you are able to email the auxiliaries with no problem, it's clear that your email client is set up correctly.

When you try to email all the adults, the list of email addresses can be quite long. My guess is that the list is so long that it overwhelms your email client, which then refuses to handle the request to send an email to those addresses.

What can you do about it? You might try a different email client, although people understandably tend to get attached to the email program they are using. You might see if there's an upgrade to your email program that has more generous limits in this area.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
awev

Post by awev »

My email program did not complain about the number of names, at one point it was over 500 before the wards where split. The problem I faced was the mail server that I was using though I was trying to spam people since I had so many people listed in the bcc (blind carbon copy) section, so no-one could see who else I was emailing it to. To get around the problem I started off as normal, yet I selected and copied all of the email addresses from bcc and pasted it into a blank notebook page. I then could cut, copy, and paste as I needed into the bcc address line. So, these are the steps I would take.

1) Compose regular broadcast message, selecting who needs to see it (in this case, all adults), and proceeding in a normal fashion.
2) When my email program would open I would cut the address from the BCC address line
3) Open Notepad, and paste the addresses.
4) Through trial and error I learned that I could select about three lines of address, cut them, and paste them back into the BCC address line of my email program
5) Hit send, and see if my mail server generated an error about too many people being addressed, or sending to many emails to quickly
6) Adjust the cut and paste from Notepad to my email program as needed.
7) Open the sent emails folder, double click on the email I just sent so I can edit it.
8) Once the sent email is opened I can select all of the addresses in the bcc address line and replace (paste over) them with the next group of email addresses.
9) Repeat steps 4, 5, 7, and 8 as needed

And it may just be your email program, and not the postal server, that is limiting you in being able to send out a batch email. The same steps should work in either case.

Return to “Ward Directory and Map”