Changed Building Scheduler - old scheduler still associated with events

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
mevans

Changed Building Scheduler - old scheduler still associated with events

Post by mevans »

A new person was called as a building scheduler. There is a stake calendar on which building schedulers may schedule events. The former building scheduler scheduled a recurring event on the stake calendar. When a conflicting event message appears, the former building scheduler shows up as the contact person for the event. I would expect that the new building scheduler's name would appear instead. Why doesn't this occur?

I've seen mention that ward callings cannot be added to stake calendars by calling, but I would think that stake callings would be added by calling, and the building scheduler is something recognized by the system. Does the system in general remember if an event was scheduled by a calling and transfer the event to someone who gets the calling? Or does it only record the person, so when callings change we may see the wrong person?

(Disclaimer: I understand that ideally events are scheduled by people in callings instead of building schedulers. I'm trying to educate people in my stake about how best to use things. In this post I'm more concerned about understanding how changing a person in a calling affects scheduled events and whether there are differences in this behavior between ward and stake calendars.)
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

mevans wrote:The former building scheduler scheduled a recurring event on the stake calendar. When a conflicting event message appears, the former building scheduler shows up as the contact person for the event. I would expect that the new building scheduler's name would appear instead. Why doesn't this occur?

The system remember who scheduled the event, not what calling(s) that person may have held. That is consistent for all events, not just the building scheduler.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
mevans

Post by mevans »

Thanks for the quick response, RussellHltn.

I wish it worked differently and stored the calling who scheduled the event. Oh well, I guess I can't have everything :)
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

mevans wrote:I wish it worked differently and stored the calling who scheduled the event. Oh well, I guess I can't have everything :)

It would be nice, but there's a number of ways it could get confused.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

When one person creates an event their name will appear as the point of contact. If the event is edited by another person the editing person's name will appear as the point of contact. This behavior has both a negative and a positive.

The negative is that the editor may not be the person people should contact for questions about the event. An administrator or building scheduler may edit the event but not be familiar with the details of the event.

The positive is that if an event is created by one person and another person now has responsibility (say because of a calling change) and knows the details, and they have edit rights, they can make an edit to the event (something in the description box, perhaps) to have the point of contact changed.

In other threads the point of contact has been requested to be editable to more adequately reflect the point of contact and not the event creator/editor.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?

Return to “Calendar”