Could MLS or CDOL expand to allow other entities to enter some "out of unit" callings

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
kisaac
Community Moderators

Could MLS or CDOL expand to allow other entities to enter some "out of unit" callings

Post by kisaac »

MLS feedback: All wards have "out of unit" callings that should be tracked, but because only a ward / stake can enter callings, it is problematic.

For example, I wish the following church entities could maintain data of "out of unit" callings and releases that would flow back to the ward & stake's MLS and LDS.org callings listing.
  1. Official temple workers calls and releases. Our stake wants to track these, but it is difficult to keep up with them, especially on the releases. When our stake has nearly 90 workers, this is tough.
  2. Missionary department calls and releases (full time missionaries, Mission Presidents) I know the directory now lists them, but they still don't show as called until a ward clerk gets around to doing it...which might be never.
  3. Church Service Missionary department calls and releases. Another tough one to keep up on stake-wide.
  4. Official Volunteering positions in Church administration and organization offices.

These organizations already maintain their data somehow, but we don't see it. Calls come by long paper trail. It trickles down through all the hands...Mailman, stake pres, HC, Bishop, Ward clerk, membership clerk...and sometimes gets entered by the ward. Releases seem to get lost, leaving old callings cluttering MLS.

Since all of these entities are "official," I assume they have or could be granted access to membership records or CDOL. This would help local leaders make additional calls and help clerks keep accurate and far less tedious records and reports.

Try the following right now in any ward / stake:
  • Print listing of all the Temple workers stake-wide and wards they live in to check the ward "balance" of calls when temple asks for more...
  • Print where all the church service missionaries are serving, and when they will be released as new service opportunities come up....
  • Print mailing labels of all full-time missionaries / Mission presidents and Church service missionaries for stake Christmas cards. Or collect all their emails for a monthly email from the stake....
Is this idea workable for a future roadmap? What do others think?
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

I think being able to see those via Clerk Resources would be a great idea. I'm not sure that I'd want all of them included as a 'calling' because some of them shouldn't remove people of the members without callings list. But others should. Not all of those are currently stored in CDOL, but those that are (like Temple/Mission presidencies) could be expanded in Clerk Resources out of unit callings.

I'll pass this along to the product owner.
kisaac
Community Moderators

Post by kisaac »

JonesRK wrote: I'm not sure that I'd want all of them included as a 'calling' because some of them shouldn't remove people of the members without callings list. But others should.
this is a needed improvement to know where your members are serving...
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

kisaac wrote:this is a needed improvement to know where your members are serving...
I agree that I want to see where they are serving, but I don't want all of them, temple workers for example, to remove them from the members without a calling. Normally I would think a temple worker would still have a ward calling.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

JonesRK wrote:I agree that I want to see where they are serving, but I don't want all of them, temple workers for example, to remove them from the members without a calling. Normally I would think a temple worker would still have a ward calling.

That is something that might be evaluated for each calling. We do not want a temple worker to have a ward calling, based on the travel and time commitment required to fill the temple worker calling in our temple district. But the expected effort at other temples might well be different.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

JonesRK wrote:I agree that I want to see where they are serving, but I don't want all of them, temple workers for example, to remove them from the members without a calling. Normally I would think a temple worker would still have a ward calling.

But unlike a member with no calling, they are engaged with the church. The subject of "undercalling" (sort of like underemployed) is a whole different thing and isn't limited to those with callings outside of the local unit. I'd take a different approach to that.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”