Calendaring on Both a Ward and Stake Calendar

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
tcole13

Calendaring on Both a Ward and Stake Calendar

Post by tcole13 »

I have the responsibility to edit events and resources on both a Stake Calendar (Stake Exec Sec) and on a Ward Calendar (Building Coordinator) Is it possible to edit and create events in both calendars? I think I am missing something.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

As a building coordinator, you can edit (but not necessarily create) any event taking place at your building. But you do not have direct rights to any ward. You can only see your own ward's calendar.

Normally events are created by the unit or even the group/auxiliary in the unit. That's a change from the old system, but that's how the new calendar was designed.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
tcole13

Post by tcole13 »

So I should have edit rights in both the Stake and Ward Calendars (Individuals can be assigned rights to a calendar outside of their calling) but I can only add events on the Stake Calendar. Is that expected?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

tcole13 wrote:So I should have edit rights in both the Stake and Ward Calendars (Individuals can be assigned rights to a calendar outside of their calling) but I can only add events on the Stake Calendar. Is that expected?
That's not quite right. You can edit any existing event that has your building as a "location". Even if you have no access to the calendar it's on.

Unless your records are in the ward, you can't be added to the ward's calendar as viewer or editor.

I'd suggest carefully going though the calendar's help file to understand the new system.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

tcole13 wrote:So I should have edit rights in both the Stake and Ward Calendars (Individuals can be assigned rights to a calendar outside of their calling) but I can only add events on the Stake Calendar. Is that expected?
As a stake executive secretary you are a stake default administrator. As such you can create events on any public stake calendar. But in your ward you only have edit rights to calendars to which you have been added as an editor. If you have been assigned the rights of a building scheduler (I assume this is what is meant by building coordinator) you can only edit events that book the building or rooms/equipment in the building. You have no capability to view other ward calendars. This is different from viewing events scheduled at a location.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
tcole13

Post by tcole13 »

jdlessley wrote: You have no capability to view other ward calendars. This is different from viewing events scheduled at a location.

Is the ability to view other ward calendars in the realm of possible? The Stake Presidency would really like this capability to help them attend and participate with the wards more easily. I am going to test being added as a Editor on my Ward Calendar and see if I can add an event to the Ward Calendar.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

tcole13 wrote:Is the ability to view other ward calendars in the realm of possible? The Stake Presidency would really like this capability to help them attend and participate with the wards more easily. I am going to test being added as a Editor on my Ward Calendar and see if I can add an event to the Ward Calendar.

See the View events by location. You won't be able to see events taking place at another location, but that's as close as it gets regardless of calling.

Gary_Miller

Post by Gary_Miller »

tcole13 wrote:Is the ability to view other ward calendars in the realm of possible? The Stake Presidency would really like this capability to help them attend and participate with the wards more easily.
You can't view other wards calendars, however you can view other wards events by using the week view and selecting the building where the other wards are located.
kisaac
Community Moderators

Post by kisaac »

tcole13 wrote: I am going to test being added as a Editor on my Ward Calendar and see if I can add an event to the Ward Calendar.
I'm sure that will work...if all you need to do is add events to your ward calendar as well as your stake calendar. Your call as a building scheduler in MLS (coordinator?) would allow you to make reservations, but not add events to your ward calendar.

What really is your issue, tcole13?
  1. Is it those Non-public events like baby showers and family thanksgiving dinners that you are trying to deal with?
  2. Is it those calls from ward members who don't have the editor access, or don't want to learn to how to make their own ward events on your ward calendar?
  3. Is it calls from another ward in your building for either of these items? You can help with #1 above if you make yourself a private events calendar, but not #2 if they are not in your ward... someone in their ward with calendar edit or approval rights would need to help them add events to their own wards calendars, and thus reserve your building resources.
Here are three work-around ways building schedulers could add events (as opposed to reservations)
  • Become a calendar editor of one of your wards existing calendars. Your suggestion. But this really will only work well if the events you are trying to deal with should appear on the whole ward's event calendar.
  • Create a Calendar called "Non-public events" (private or public) with you as the editor for your non-public events. When you are released, the next building scheduler can maintain it.
There is a third option, but probably not as good as the first two...
  • Micro-manager building scheduler option: ask your ward leaders to call you in MLS (not officially from the pulpit) as a ward website admin in addition to your building scheduler calling, which would make you a default approver over all your wards calendars. This is similar to your current approver access you enjoy at the stake level as a default approver with your stake exec sec calling. This option probably gives you more power than you might want, and if you already have a website admin, it could cause confusion. You CAN have two.
Oh! And welcome to the forum tcole13!
tcole13

Post by tcole13 »

kisaac wrote:
What really is your issue, tcole13?
Too Many to List!

Here are a few answers:
kisaac wrote:
Is it those Non-public events like baby showers and family thanksgiving dinners that you are trying to deal with?
Not Really
kisaac wrote: Is it those calls from ward members who don't have the editor access, or don't want to learn to how to make their own ward events on your ward calendar?
It is mostly getting all the members with access (presidencies in the Wards and Others) to use the Room location info to help avoid conflict and remove me from the picture. The website will prevent conflicts if the members do their part and reserve a room in the event.
kisaac wrote: Is it calls from another ward in your building for either of these items? You can help with #1 above if you make yourself a private events calendar, but not #2 if they are not in your ward... someone in their ward with calendar edit or approval rights would need to help them add events to their own wards calendars, and thus reserve your building resources.
There is the desire from the Stake Pres. and his councilors to see the ward calendars so they can better know and plan to attend ward events
kisaac wrote:
Oh! And welcome to the forum tcole13!
Thank you for the welcome. New to my calling and working hard to eliminate/train around conflicts in the Stake (8 buildings and 10 wards) There is a lack of understanding of "ThePossible" with the calendar and I will be conducting a training in our upcoming Priesthood leadership training to help get both awareness and to get all the wards doing the same things/scheduling their own events with some consistency.

Thanks again for the suggestions and information

T

Return to “Calendar”