Computer shutdown policy

Discussions around the setup, operation, replacement, and disposal of clerk computers, not to include using MLS
rpyne

Computer shutdown policy

Post by rpyne »

I recall seeing a policy statement from some years ago when I was an STS, that all administrative computers were to shut down (powered off) when not in use. I have searched high and low for a copy of this policy and cannot find it.

What has spurred the search is repeated calls from one of our FM technicians, who happens to be a personal friend, complaining about finding clerk computers left on for days/weeks at a time in very smaill offices that end up with temperatures in the 90s due to the heat generated by the computers.

Does this policy still exist? If so, where can I get a copy? If not, what would it take to get such a policy (re)issued?
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

rpyne wrote:I recall seeing a policy statement from some years ago when I was an STS, that all administrative computers were to shut down (powered off) when not in use. I have searched high and low for a copy of this policy and cannot find it.

What has spurred the search is repeated calls from one of our FM technicians, who happens to be a personal friend, complaining about finding clerk computers left on for days/weeks at a time in very smaill offices that end up with temperatures in the 90s due to the heat generated by the computers.

Does this policy still exist? If so, where can I get a copy? If not, what would it take to get such a policy (re)issued?
This policy might aid your situation, but I think it's unnecessary for many other stakes/units. I see no reason for this to be a Church-wide policy. There's nothing stopping you guys from making a Stake policy out of it.

DISCLAIMER: Just because I'm a volunteer moderator, I in no way work for the Church nor represent them in any official capacity. In short, I'm just some guy with an opinion.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

rpyne wrote:I recall seeing a policy statement from some years ago when I was an STS, that all administrative computers were to shut down (powered off) when not in use. I have searched high and low for a copy of this policy and cannot find it.

I tend to take the position that when the Church issues a comprehensive policy statement, that it replaces any odds and ends policies that may have been issued previously. Since the March 2005 Policy and Guidelines is silent on this topic, I assume there is no Church-wide policy.

That said, it seems prudent to properly configure the power-saving features of most computers. Even desktops can generally be configured to sleep or hibernate after a period of inactivity. These modes can lower the power consumption to a point where the computer would certainly not be overheating the office. Yet if users are finicky about getting back to work hours or days later and picking up where they left off without waiting for a reboot, sleep mode might be a reasonable compromise.

In any case, I agree with mkmurray that a stake president is welcome to set such policies (in the absence of an overriding Church policy).
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I know there used to be a policy about that, but as Alan indicated, it's probably an old outdated one.

However, as a guy who does electronic repair, I can vouch that running computers for an extended period of time on 90 degree heat is shortening the life of them. It also seems quite wasteful of the Lord's money to run the computer all week when they are only used a few hours. It may not come out of the ward or stake's budget, but it's the Lord's money non the less.

A stake policy should settle it once and for all.
jeffclark1070-p40

Shutdown solution

Post by jeffclark1070-p40 »

If people don't shutdown the computer and you want to eliminate this problem you can schedule the computer to shutdown automatically at a specific time each day. This can be down with the built in program in windows called shutdown.exe. I don't have a computer shutdown problem but a monitor and printer shutdown problem. People just don't turn off all components.
codyntn-p40

Computer Power Usage

Post by codyntn-p40 »

The last 2 posts are certainly good answers. Any Church policy was certainly pulling the punch and not making the policy binding enough.

When I'm asked by people if computers should be shut down, I answer that if the computer will not be used for a couple of hours, lets save some electric cost and shut it down. Because of the fact that confidential information is on these systems, if the clerk is leaving the room and will be returning shortly, put the computer in Hibernate before you leave the room.

Heat is the largest enemy of electronics. Don't place the system in a place where circulation of air is restricted. In hot rooms, have a fan giving additional circulation of air around the computer.

Chris C
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

codyntn wrote:When I'm asked by people if computers should be shut down, I answer that if the computer will not be used for a couple of hours, lets save some electric cost and shut it down.
I'm more of a "end of the day" guy myself. But unless your clerk's office is actually vacant during the block meetings, then your "couple of hours" comes out to the same answer. ;)
jbh001

Shutting down MLS and the computer properly

Post by jbh001 »

I seem to recall this (or something very similar) being sent out as an MLS message from HQ within the last year or so.

Edit:
I found it, dated 23 June 2006.
As you finish your MLS session be sure to use the Log Off and/or Exit buttons to exit MLS. Also, the computer in the meetinghouse should be shut down properly, and not just turned off. Exiting MLS improperly or turning off the computer without shutting it down properly can cause problems with MLS.

NEVER USE THE COMPUTER POWER BUTTON OR A SURGE PROTECTOR SWITCH TO TURN OFF THE COMPUTER UNTIL YOU HAVE PROPERLY EXITED MLS AND SHUT DOWN THE COMPUTER.

To shut down the computer properly, do the following:

1. Click START in the bottom left corner of the computer screen.
2. Click SHUT DOWN.
3. In the window that appears, select SHUT DOWN.
4. You may need to Click OK.
5. Wait until the computer powers down. This may take a few moments.

After you finish the shutdown procedure, you should only then turn off other power supplies or surge protectors.
That is as close as it gets.

Return to “Clerk Computers”