Stake Calling not able to see youth in other wards

Discussions about the Ward Directory and Map tool on churchofjesuschrist.org.
comptong

Stake Calling not able to see youth in other wards

Post by comptong »

I am the Stake Y/M President on the MLS and I cannot see the Y/M in wards other than my own.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

You may want to ask the stake clerk to verify that your calling is entered as a standard (not custom) calling.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lisaan
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by lisaan »

This is by design. The Stake YM president is over the Ward YM presidencies. The logic is you would work with the presidencies and not directly with the youth.
QA Engineer
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

LisaAn wrote:This is by design. The Stake YM president is over the Ward YM presidencies. The logic is you would work with the presidencies and not directly with the youth.

I'm curious about the verbiage in the directory help file: "a member without a stake calling won't see the children in a household outside of his or her ward. However, a member of the stake Primary presidency will see children in all wards and branches in the stake."

It raises the question of which stake callings do allow the member to see children. (And I'm curious as to how the Stake Primary President is different from the Stake YM President.)

Either way, I think the help file could use some tweaking.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
gyoungberg

Post by gyoungberg »

I know this won't change anything, but I too have been frustrated by this. I'm the high council adviser to the Young Women. I've also served as the Stake Trek Committee chairman. In both of these assignments I would be much more effective if I could look up the name of youth that I'm working with in LDS Tools. I just don't have the memory that I once had, but often know the family they belong to. I understand privacy concerns, but this seems too strict.
mevans

Post by mevans »

RussellHltn wrote:I'm curious about the verbiage in the directory help file: "a member without a stake calling won't see the children in a household outside of his or her ward. However, a member of the stake Primary presidency will see children in all wards and branches in the stake."
If the above is the case, then what does the privacy setting do? I can choose to make my children visible to leaders only, just the ward, or the whole stake. Do I take that to mean that there is no general stake visibility for children? If so, why does the option exist?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

mevans wrote:Do I take that to mean that there is no general stake visibility for children? If so, why does the option exist?

One slight effect of the option is that when they turn 18 that visibility setting will become effective. But other than that, it does seem that only stake leaders (apparently defined as stake presidency, clerks, and executive secretary) outside the ward can see the children, and thus there is no difference between "ward" and "stake" visibility settings.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

mevans wrote:If the above is the case, then what does the privacy setting do? I can choose to make my children visible to leaders only, just the ward, or the whole stake. Do I take that to mean that there is no general stake visibility for children? If so, why does the option exist?

I'm sure there are differences between "Leadership" and the other settings. It would block visibility to other members of the ward.

I don't know as there would be any difference between "Stake" and "Ward" until they turn 18.

mevans

Post by mevans »

RussellHltn wrote:I don't know as there would be any difference between "Stake" and "Ward" until they turn 18.

I'm assuming you mean until the a child reaches the age of majority based on where he or she lives? It's not 18 in all countries. I just googled and was surprised to realize that in the US it can differ by state.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

mevans wrote:I'm assuming you mean until the a child reaches the age of majority based on where he or she lives? It's not 18 in all countries. I just googled and was surprised to realize that in the US it can differ by state.
Although you raise a good point, I don't know if that affects the way this is actually implemented. I really doubt that there is any difference in the US for different states.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.

Return to “Ward Directory and Map”