Using a Converter Box instead of a VCR?

Using the Church Webcasting System, YouTube, etc. Including cameras and mixers.
tubaloth

Using a Converter Box instead of a VCR?

Post by tubaloth »

One thing I wish could change is how we have to split the signal from the stake center input. We go from the camera to the what ever box in the Library. The satellite signal is on one channel and the local signal is on another channel (3 and 6 right?)

The only way we have found to split them is by hooking up the coax to the VCR and then change the channel to what ever station.

I might have asked this before, but has anybody tried using one of these converter boxes that came out a couple of years ago. I don't really care that I'm converting it, but its not that bad. In theory its taking a signal and spliting it, or allowing me to change channels?

Its not that much better then a VCR just smaller in size.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

tubaloth wrote:I might have asked this before, but has anybody tried using one of these converter boxes that came out a couple of years ago.

The only converters I know about are the ones that convert digital broadcasts to the old analog format. You'd have to find one that has video out and can tune analog broadcasts. Not impossible, but may not be easy.

Another idea is to find a small video distribution amp to split the video signal before it goes into the modulator.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

RussellHltn wrote:The only converters I know about are the ones that convert digital broadcasts to the old analog format. You'd have to find one that has video out and can tune analog broadcasts. Not impossible, but may not be easy.
An old CATV set-top box from the 70's & 80's would work fine, as long as it was one of the nicer ones with the A/V RCA output jacks on the rear. In other words, avoid the ones with only an input and output F-connector. Also, avoid ones that don't have any front channel selector buttons, as these must be controlled with a remote and that's too easy to misplace or have dead batteries at the worst possible time.

These boxes used to be very popular at garage sales and flea markets, but are getting hard to find any more.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
tubaloth

Post by tubaloth »

RussellHltn wrote:The only converters I know about are the ones that convert digital broadcasts to the old analog format. You'd have to find one that has video out and can tune analog broadcasts. Not impossible, but may not be easy.

Another idea is to find a small video distribution amp to split the video signal before it goes into the modulator.

True, The signal in the Stake center isn't a digital signal. But I realized if it actually did convert anything it would probably add a delay, (even a small one). The only other option is some of the converter boxes had analog pass through. As far as I know this was so you could still get older stations had hadn't yet converted there singal.

http://www.ezdigitaltv.com/Analog_Pass-Through.html

I would think that would work.

Yeah, I would want to make sure to be able to change the channel on the box.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

As long as that worked with the video out jack. I thought analog pass-though worked much like the TV/VCR switch on a VCR - it simply took it self out of the circuit so the TV could receive normally. I don't see any assurance that the unit can tune analog signals.

I would certainly suggest reading the user manual before buying anything without a good return policy.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

Return to “Non-Interactive Webcasting”