Restricting Distribution Center Charges

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
aarondesk

Restricting Distribution Center Charges

Post by aarondesk »

If I understand the system now, any member can purchase items from the Distribution center and charge them to our ward account. Is there a way to restrict this so only certain members (i.e. Bishopric and clerks) can make distribution center purchases?

Thank you.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

aarondesk wrote:If I understand the system now, any member can purchase items from the Distribution center and charge them to our ward account.
The last I checked only the bishopric and ward clerks could charge to the ward account - online that is. But that was a couple of months ago. I have never checked to see what was possible when an order is called in.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
aarondesk

Post by aarondesk »

Well, I know that members can order over the phone or in person through the ward account, because we have had members do this. :)
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

aarondesk wrote:Well, I know that members can order over the phone or in person through the ward account, because we have had members do this. :)

I was recently released as Ward Clerk and am now the High Priest Group Leader. Thus, I have been able to test and determine that I can no longer order items and direct-bill them to the ward due to my calling change. At one time in the past, a Primary Counselor did just that and I had always assumed she did it through the online distribution center. However, it is possible she did it via telephone. I am surprised that whomever takes telephone orders at the Distribution Center is not trained to prevent this from happening...
mikepoli

Post by mikepoli »

As recently as a few years ago it was possible for any member of the ward to order items from the Distribution Center over the phone and charge them to the ward. When the bishop called to question this, the only way we could prevent it was for him to send a letter to the Center requesting that they not allow this to happen.
lancer

Post by lancer »

Online ordering is restricted to what your calling is but I just went to the main store in Salt Lake City and pick up some sacrament cups and the Sister did not ask what my calling was(ward clerk). She just asked for a photo ID to type in my name and she just looked up my ward and I verified the Bishop's name.
So I would think the phone or in person they would not check except for taking your name.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”