Website Down Message

Discuss ideas and suggestions around the Church website.
failproof

Website Down Message

Post by failproof »

Not for the first time on a sunday morning, when trying to get to the calendar, and the directory, I am getting redirected to http://outofservice.lds.org/ which displays the message "This Web site is down for maintenance". Maps isn't loading completely and a return to the directory later loaded the page framework, but gave me a message that the data was not available at this time.

My first thought was that Sunday morning is a bad time for a maintenance on a church website for a couple of reasons, including that it is probably the time the site is going to get used the most.

Upon further reflection my guess is that this wasn't really a maintenance, it's just where the page gets redirected by default if it is down, whether it is a maintenance or a problem or whatever.

Since I've seen this on more than one Sunday morning, it begs the question - Is there a load issue going on here where the servers can't handle the load on Sunday morning, or is there really a maintenance going on which might be better scheduled for a better time?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

The "maintenance" page comes up any time a server's response time falls below a certain level.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
failproof

Post by failproof »

So as I guessed, not really a maintenance, but again, does that mean that there is a load issue that needs to be addressed? Being a Sunday morning when I would assume none of the church employees are working, do they even know it is an issue?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

failproof wrote:So as I guessed, not really a maintenance, but again, does that mean that there is a load issue that needs to be addressed? Being a Sunday morning when I would assume none of the church employees are working, do they even know it is an issue?
I'm sure they know; such an occurrence would be reported by server monitoring systems and logged in the server logs.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
aclawson

Post by aclawson »

It was partially up for awhile, now back down again. I also notice that I can't sync LDS tools
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

LDS Tools gets data from several servers. Right now the server(s) for the Directory is(are) returning a website down for maintenance message.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
mevans

Post by mevans »

failproof wrote:Not for the first time on a sunday morning, when trying to get to the calendar, and the directory, I am getting redirected to http://outofservice.lds.org/ which displays the message "This Web site is down for maintenance".

I didn't get the out of service message, but yesterday during church there were certainly problems with many of the online tools (I was using a web browser on my laptop, not a mobile app). I gave up trying to use them.

Return to “Main Church Website”