Exempt Tithing Status

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
mlh78

Exempt Tithing Status

Post by mlh78 »

Is there a source for the definition of exempt other than the online training?
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

Have you checked Handbook 1: Stake Presidents and Bishops? That information was in the previous version.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

See the wiki article Tithing status (which cites its sources).
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
mlh78

Post by mlh78 »

Thanks Allen - that one slipped past me. I am happy to go with it, but an MLS message seems like an odd way to disseminate this information.

Edit: JD's comment got me thinking. If the definitions were in the prior version of Handbook 1, then I have no issue with the MLS reminder. But if it was taken out of the Handbook (which my perusal suggests it was), then my confidence in the 2007 MLS message, which was based on the old handbook, waivers a bit. In other words, if we are not to look to old Handbook 1 for definitions, then I would expect the same would hold true for less authoritative reiterations of the old Handbook definitions. But in the absence of any other explanation, I suppose its all we have to go on.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

mlh78 wrote:Thanks Allen - that one slipped past me. I am happy to go with it, but an MLS message seems like an odd way to disseminate this information.

Edit: JD's comment got me thinking. If the definitions were in the prior version of Handbook 1, then I have no issue with the MLS reminder. But if it was taken out of the Handbook (which my perusal suggests it was), then my confidence in the 2007 MLS message, which was based on the old handbook, waivers a bit. In other words, if we are not to look to old Handbook 1 for definitions, then I would expect the same would hold true for less authoritative reiterations of the old Handbook definitions. But in the absence of any other explanation, I suppose its all we have to go on.

The wiki article is there to a large extent to point you to the official sources. In this case, by far the best source is the MLS Software Manual. It contains all the specific definitions. What's more, recent updates to the MLS manual include all the essential points of the 2007 MLS message. So you really don't need to rely on that old message at all.

I can't find any details on tithing statuses in either Handbook; I'm not sure what JD is alluding to, but if there's a specific section on this topic, please reference that section.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”