MLS 3.5 Thread Post by the MLS Product Manager

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
1968leocomeeatabite

Post by 1968leocomeeatabite »

The patch is live - 3.5.0_20992 is the exact version.
[Yipee! I know what I'm doing this evening. .
So how did it go? Did you successfully get the update? How long did it take?
HansG

Post by HansG »

1968leocomeeatabite wrote:So how did it go? Did you successfully get the update? How long did it take?
Here's how it went for me:
I downloaded 3.5 by following the link in post #1 of this thread:
To get the official information about the MLS 3.5 release, please visit the Record-Keeping and Technology Support site: http://clerksupport.lds.org. Navigate to: Applications > MLS > MLS Update Procedures article.
Except after clicking on applications I clicked on "MLS Release Notifications" (at the bottom). Then there's a link called "•Download the beta version of MLS 3.5" that I used to download 3.5.

I installed 3.5. I got nervous because it installed 3.5.0_20952 instead of the 3.5.0_20992 that I was hoping to see based on Ryan Gifford's earlier post in this thread.

I did some send/receives. After a few I got the anticipated "We have completed the organization synchronization with Church headquarters. You may now use all MLS functions and menus."

I did some more S/R. Never got the finance functionality message I was hoping for; got tired and went home (this was all last night).

Came back this morning, did a send receive, got the "The file has been received from Church headquarters. You can now use MLS finance functionality."

Then I got a "To complete this process, MLS will log you off and you will need to log back in again."

After another S/R, got: "A software update has been downloaded to your computer. You must exit and restart MLS. . .. ."

After which I got: "Your MLS installation has been updated to the latest release version. Be sure to review the MLS release notes. . . . ."

And that version was 3.5.0_20992.

Life is good. Updated on my own time, not gonna be a fire drill on Sunday. . .doesn't matter if I'm not around when some other user of MLS logs on and gets messages that freak them out :-)
rpack

Post by rpack »

My ward (122327) has been locked out of the finances section of MLS all week. Have been following the posts here and was hoping that this latest patch would solve our problems, but doesn't appear to do so. When I click on "Enter Donations" from the main screen a dialog box comes up that says:

"The MLS functionality is temporarily unavailable until a file is received from Church headquarters. This event is scheduled by Church headquarters and no action is required on the part of the unit. You may continue to use other areas of MLS. A file will be sent from Church headquarters that will enable all functionality once again. Please do a send/receive changes to obtain this file."

I have been doing send/receive changes off and on since last Saturday, and have called LUS 3 times now but no joy. Any advice?

Thanks!

Rick Pack
Stake Tech. Spec.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

rpack wrote:Any advise?
Given that it's already 1PM MDT on a Friday, I'd suggest you call Local Unit Support. Don't allow them to dead-end you, but ask for escalation if things seem to be stalling.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
1968leocomeeatabite

Post by 1968leocomeeatabite »

Here's how it went for me:
I downloaded 3.5 by following the link in post #1 of this thread:
To get the official information about the MLS 3.5 release, please visit the Record-Keeping and Technology Support site: http://clerksupport.lds.org. Navigate to: Applications > MLS > MLS Update Procedures article.

Except after clicking on applications I clicked on "MLS Release Notifications" (at the bottom). Then there's a link called "•Download the beta version of MLS 3.5" that I used to download 3.5.

I installed 3.5. I got nervous because it installed 3.5.0_20952 instead of the 3.5.0_20992 that I was hoping to see based on Ryan Gifford's earlier post in this thread.

I did some send/receives. After a few I got the anticipated "We have completed the organization synchronization with Church headquarters. You may now use all MLS functions and menus."

I did some more S/R. Never got the finance functionality message I was hoping for; got tired and went home (this was all last night).

Came back this morning, did a send receive, got the "The file has been received from Church headquarters. You can now use MLS finance functionality."

Then I got a "To complete this process, MLS will log you off and you will need to log back in again."

After another S/R, got: "A software update has been downloaded to your computer. You must exit and restart MLS. . .. ."

After which I got: "Your MLS installation has been updated to the latest release version. Be sure to review the MLS release notes. . . . ."

And that version was 3.5.0_20992.

Life is good. Updated on my own time, not gonna be a fire drill on Sunday. . .doesn't matter if I'm not around when some other user of MLS logs on and gets messages that freak them out :

Ok, Thank you, I guess I will go and give it a whirl.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

rpack wrote:My ward (122327) has been locked out of the finances section of MLS all week. Have been following the posts here and was hoping that this latest patch would solve our problems, but doesn't appear to do so.
I have been doing send/receive changes off and on since last Saturday, and have called LUS 3 times now but no joy. Any advise?

You have done everything you can do on your end; when I upgraded to MLS 3.5 I got the finance setup file downloaded about 25 minutes after my first Send/Receive and then the finance section was unlocked. Since you have done multiple Send/Receives, there's nothing else you can do.

I don't know what happened when you called LUS 3 times, but they have got to help you. I'd advise you to be firmly (but of course kindly) persistent and make sure that you are transferred to someone who is capable of helping you. Considering that you couldn't process donations last Sunday, and it's now Friday afternoon, so you are in great danger of not being able to process donations this coming Sunday, I think you can make a good case that you should receive the assistance you need.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
rpack

Post by rpack »

RussellHltn wrote:Given that it's already 1PM MDT on a Friday, I'd suggest you call Local Unit Support. Don't allow them to dead-end you, but ask for escalation if things seem to be stalling.
Did that 1/2 hour ago. The sister I talked to said she would escalate it to 2nd level (so did the previous 2 on Monday and Thursday) but wouldn't allow me to talk to someone on the 2nd level. It's an email only thing, I guess.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

rpack wrote:Did that 1/2 hour ago. The sister I talked to said she would escalate it to 2nd level (so did the previous 2 on Monday and Thursday) but wouldn't allow me to talk to someone on the 2nd level. It's an email only thing, I guess.
Perhaps you should ask your stake clerk to intervene; LUS gives stake clerks higher priority. I understand that they are trying to protect their scarce technical resources, but you have every right to get assistance, especially since you first raised this issue on Monday and have not gotten the needed help.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
rpack

Post by rpack »

I am a stake clerk.
giffordrb

Post by giffordrb »

rpack wrote:I have been doing send/receive changes off and on since last Saturday, and have called LUS 3 times now but no joy. Any advice?

Make sure they know that you need a CUBS sync file created for your unit. MLS requests in during the upgrade, but something might have gone wrong with the request and it needs to be manually created. It shouldn't take long, and it's true that there isn't anything else you can do from your end.
Ryan Gifford
MLS

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”