Mission forms on the line!

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
MayaML

Mission forms on the line!

Post by MayaML »

Just to let you know, the forms for mision are not ok in every country!
I am getting gray hairs about filling the mission papers with my son on the internett! Why are they so very American? FEX We usually buy a special incurance if we travel aday or two beforhand. All Norwegeans have a usual health incurance, that is ok in Nordic countries probably USA too and some others too. And that has no end date! The worst is, that we need to know the end date for this incurance, we are (were) going to buy, ... but we dont know when he is leaving, so we have NO date for the end of this incurance ansd we are stuck again.
Ofcourse my priesthood holders want it to be perfectly true adnso... so they cant just write there 1 Marsh 2015. They want the true dates, so he can not go on with his papers before he has an incurance.
This means we need to by him an extra incurance about 500$ for some 3 years abroad (not 2 years with 300$), just to get the ending date!
Then I just hope he will be sent very far away, so the insurance was not bought for no good.
It could be a good idea to a bit rearrange the internett papers after the country where the searcher is from, or at least have a possibility to explain why we cant get the date or something that was needed. Like my son is also a citizen of Finland as I am Finnish he automaticly is Finnish... I dont know if I have any papers for that, probably something somewhere, and at 22 he can decide if he wants to be also Finnish ... but Norway do not allow double citicenships so probably not. There were other things too cant recall now.
We been fighting over 3 months with the forms now... And he should be back by February 2015 to get to the army.
MayaML

Post by MayaML »

Forgot to say that we get the travell incurance only for 7 months at the time...
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

This certainly is a struggle for those of you lucky enough to have universal healthcare. I have to believe you are not the first person to struggle with filling these papers out. Is there someone in an area office that can help you? We should NEVER have a missionary waiting this long for paperwork's sake.

If it were me I would fill it out the way your leader wants you to and then purchase the exact amount of insurance you will need. The form is not a contract, and I would not personally feel unqualified for my temple recommend for filling out mission papers in that way.
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
mevans

Post by mevans »

I am very happy you have a son who is worthy and ready to serve a mission and wish you and him the best.

Unfortunately, much software that originates from the USA takes into account our laws and customs before those of other countries. The church keeps getting better in terms of making things more specific to each country and culture. I am not familiar with the online missionary application. However, it is a lot of work to customize such things for each country (and in some cases for governmental jurisdictions within a country).

If your priesthood leaders want you to put down certain dates for the application, I suggest following their advice. The way you describe it, I think they want you to purchase the insurance before a mission call is issued? You should not have to go to that expense until you know dates for you son's travels.

If your priesthood leaders are new or have not sent very many missionaries on missions since they have been called, you might have them contact the area office for help, as JohnShaw suggested. You might also contact your local mission office to see if they can provide any assistance.
allenjpl

Post by allenjpl »

Health insurance is not required to submit the missionary application. Unless I miss my guess, your son does has health insurance that is valid in the Nordic area, but possibly not elsewhere unless he purchases traveling health insurance. So identify the insurance he currently has (not the traveling insurance), indicate that it is only valid in the country, and that it won't terminate during his mission. I'm pretty sure that will alleviate any problems with a termination date. When you've actually purchased the traveling insurance, you can provide that information to your son so that if he needs to submit a claim through Missionary Medical, he can provide them his insurance information at that time.

As far as the question of citizenship goes, my understanding is that the question asks if the missionary is a documented citizen of the place where he is living. The documentation can be a simple as a birth certificate, passport, or something that demonstrates citizenship.

Return to “General Discussions”