subscription

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
tomselfaison

subscription

Post by tomselfaison »

I tried to unsubscribe on my account and still I'm getting email from different groups in my ward and stake that I'm not even invovlve with. Please I need your help
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

tomselfaison wrote:I tried to unsubscribe on my account and still I'm getting email from different groups in my ward and stake that I'm not even invovlve with. Please I need your help

Did you actually unsubscribe, or did you simply uncheck the boxes at the left of the main calendar display?

Try using the Tools menu (the gear icon at the top right) and selecting Subscriptions. On that page, you have the option to unsubscribe, or simply to uncheck those boxes so that you will no longer receive emails if you still wish to be able to see the calendar events for that particular calendar.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

tomselfaison wrote:I tried to unsubscribe on my account and still I'm getting email from different groups in my ward and stake that I'm not even invovlve with. Please I need your help
You will receive notifications that are sent for any calendars that you are subscribed to. By default, every account is set up to be subscribed to every calendar that is added to your ward or stake. So if there are calendars that you are not interested in that you are subscribed to, you can take any or all of these actions:
  • Click on Settings (the gear icon in the upper right corner of the main calendar page) and choose Subscriptions. Then for each calendar that you are not interested in, click the "Subscribed" button in the Status column, which should then change to "Unsubscribed." Note that you will first see your ward calendars, and you then need to click on the "Stake Calendars" link to do the same process for your stake calendars.
  • Or if you want to see events from a particular calendar on your calendar, but don't want to be notified of any changes to that calendar, you can still be subscribed to that calendar, but on the same Subscriptions page you can uncheck the box by "Allow email reminders for this calendar".
  • You can also go to Settings > Options and uncheck the box by "Auto subscribe to new ward calendars" or "Auto subscribe to new ward calendars" so that you won't automatically be subscribed to new calendars that may be added in the future.
  • Also under Options, you can change your settings for "Send me email notifications about new calendars" or "Allow email reminders for calendar events" to control what emails you receive. If you uncheck that last option ("Allow email reminders for calendar events") you won't receive any emails about events, regardless of which boxes you checked for individual calendars in the second bullet point above.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
cabrooksby

Post by cabrooksby »

I am a stake clerk who has been recently adding events to our stake calendars for 2013. I wast just notified that one of the members of the stake has been getting hundreds of email notifications for every event I recently added (1 email for each event added). I don't understand this. I did not click the option to send email notices when I created the events. I personally did not get any notices for any of them and all my Settings are set to "allow email reminders". So why are some people getting notices and others not? If this were a more global problem then I figure I would have heard from a lot more of the stake members.
lisaan
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by lisaan »

Everyone's settings for email are different and can be managed in two different ways: per individual calendar or for the whole Calendar system. Have this member go into the Calendar, click on the Settings (Gear) menu on the right and click on Subscriptions. For each calendar, under Notifications, uncheck the 'Allow email reminders' box. If the member would like to stop all emails, have him go again to the Settings menu and click on Options. Uncheck the box that says 'Allow email reminders for calendar events'. Let us know if this fixes the problem.
QA Engineer
cabrooksby

Post by cabrooksby »

LisaAn,
I understand your reply. However, as my previous reply stated, MY settings are such that for both of them they are set to receive emails and I am not getting them. So why not? It appears that from this thread and the 'notifications' thread that these settings may not be working for some members and that they are getting emails despite these two settings. This is also what I am trying to understand.

My question about clicking the 'send email' option when creating an event was also not answered. It was my understanding that clicking this option when creating an event is what would send an email to those who don't have this feature turned off in the two option settings you describe. Is this an incorrect understanding? Thanks.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

cabrooksby wrote:My question about clicking the 'send email' option when creating an event was also not answered. It was my understanding that clicking this option when creating an event is what would send an email to those who don't have this feature turned off in the two option settings you describe. Is this an incorrect understanding? Thanks.

Selecting the "send email" option will send email to everyone subscribed to that calendar who has notifications turned on -- but with one important exception: the person who is making the change is not notified. So if you were the one making all these recent changes, then the fact that you didn't receive notifications about those changes really doesn't tell us anything. You'd need to check with someone else who is subscribed and has notifications turned on to see if they got email notifications.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
cabrooksby

Post by cabrooksby »

I did NOT check 'send email' on any of the events.

I have checked with several members. One is a Mac/Apple user. He is getting notices also, like the first reported member is. The second, both him and his wife are not getting notices (like me). They have 'email notifications' turned on in both of the options areas.

So this still is a puzzling thing!
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

cabrooksby wrote:I did NOT check 'send email' on any of the events.

I have checked with several members. One is a Mac/Apple user. He is getting notices also, like the first reported member is. The second, both him and his wife are not getting notices (like me). They have 'email notifications' turned on in both of the options areas.

So this still is a puzzling thing!
Any pattern as to who is getting them? Perhaps just people with editor rights to the calendar in question?

The only time I've gotten an email is when someone creates a new calendar at the stake level (I'm a stake default admin - consequently I'm automatically added as a editor for the new calendar. That's what triggers that email.)
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
cabrooksby

Post by cabrooksby »

It is not people with editor rights. But I will keep investigating and see if there is a pattern.

Apparently my stake is the only one affected.

Gratefully, most of the stake calendaring is done for 2013 and so at least the emails will stop just because the editing stops :)

Return to “Calendar”