Documentation Required for Deposits

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
wrigjef

Documentation Required for Deposits

Post by wrigjef »

What documentation do you file and/or is examined for deposits during an audit? The MLS generated report, pink copy of deposit slip, plastic tab, what else?
Sometimes we get a check stub for the check(s) to be deposited and sometimes we don't. At the stake level, our deposits don't normally include donations thus a normal donation slip is not available.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

wrigjef wrote:What documentation do you file and/or is examined for deposits during an audit? The MLS generated report, pink copy of deposit slip, plastic tab, what else?
Sometimes we get a check stub for the check(s) to be deposited and sometimes we don't. At the stake level, our deposits don't normally include donations thus a normal donation slip is not available.
It's the yellow copy, not the pink copy of the deposit slip that is filed (the pink copy goes with the cash part of the deposit). And then of course the MLS-generated Batch Report and Deposit Report (ward copy), and the plastic tab from the deposit bag as you mentioned. But each deposited item does require a document of some sort. I too work at the stake level; for checks that came from another unit I just use the check stub, but if that is not available, I just fill out a donation slip (I got a stack of donation slips from a ward in the building that had a huge surplus of donation slips in their clerk's office).

No auditor has ever had a problem with that documentation.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
wrigjef

Post by wrigjef »

I'm going through a special audit for a recreational camp with it's own unit number and MLS. Stubs from unit checks satisfy as do photo copyies of the other checks that I've deposited but we came across a deposit where I forgot to make a copy of the check before putting it in a deposit envelope and a hand written note did not satisfy the other night when we met. I'm going to try again tonight and see if I can get it by him.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

wrigjef wrote:...a hand written note did not satisfy the other night when we met.

The audit question at hand here says: "Do the amounts from the cash receipt documentation (such as the remittance portion of checks or donation slips) match the description and amounts on the Tithing and Offerings Batch Report?"

There is no requirement listed for a particular kind of receipt documentation; all that is required is that the documentation exists and that the amount matches what is on the Batch Report. It sounds to me like your auditor is making up an additional requirement. Without getting argumentative, if I were in your position, I would point to the audit question and ask the auditor to help me understand what part of the actual audit question the stake is failing to comply with.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
wrigjef

Post by wrigjef »

aebrown wrote:The audit question at hand here says: "Do the amounts from the cash receipt documentation (such as the remittance portion of checks or donation slips) match the description and amounts on the Tithing and Offerings Batch Report?"

There is no requirement listed for a particular kind of receipt documentation; all that is required is that the documentation exists and that the amount matches what is on the Batch Report. It sounds to me like your auditor is making up an additional requirement. Without getting argumentative, if I were in your position, I would point to the audit question and ask the auditor to help me understand what part of the actual audit question the stake is failing to comply with.
Funny thing, this audit uses a different form. One that is not available online through LUFAS or on MLS (even if I log in the "Snyder YW Camp" unit). I called Salt Lake and asked for a copy but was told it will be (now was) sent directly to the Stake President prior to this audit. I had never seen the questions prior to the audit. Many have to do with camp administration issues. The finance section is unusual to say the least. I am hoping that I can run off a copy before it gets turned in.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

wrigjef wrote:Funny thing, this audit uses a different form. One that is not available online through LUFAS or on MLS (even if I log in the "Snyder YW Camp" unit).

Interesting. Sorry I assumed it was the stake audit form; it makes sense that it would be different for recreational properties.

I've always thought that it was a good principle that clerks could review the audit forms at any time in order to know just what they would be audited on. The audit forms are one more source of helpful training and information. So I think it's unusual that you aren't given the form ahead of time.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

wrigjef wrote:I called Salt Lake and asked for a copy but was told it will be (now was) sent directly to the Stake President prior to this audit. I had never seen the questions prior to the audit.
That is like giving a test and not knowing what the test is going to be covering. It only makes sense that in order to ensure compliance with policy and procedure that those tasked with compliance know what the policies and procedures are considered worth examining. Having a copy of the audit checklist makes it easier to know what is considered essentially important.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?

Return to “Local Unit Finance”