Agent Ward

Discuss basic duties of stake and ward clerks, including where to begin.
lehrschallbrian

Agent Ward

Post by lehrschallbrian »

I am a ward clerk in a Young Single adult ward. Our ward was made the agent ward and I need to know what our responsibilities are for this new assignment. HELP!!!!!!!!!!
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

lehrschallbrian wrote:I am a ward clerk in a Young Single adult ward. Our ward was made the agent ward and I need to know what our responsibilities are for this new assignment. HELP!!!!!!!!!!
There's no Church-wide standard for exactly what an agent ward does, but here are some things I've seen done:
  • Act as chair of a building committee (typically that includes one counselor the bishopric for each ward that uses the building); the building committee discusses and approves how the wards work together on all building-related issues that are in the realm of the ward. For the stake center, the stake may well provide a representative.
  • Purchase materials (toner, paper, other supplies) for the meetinghouse library.
  • Purchase other items for the building (excluding, of course, items purchased by the FM group).
  • Bill the other wards that share the building for their portion of the expenses.
  • Organize member cleaning of the building (usually I've seen this done where one ward takes Jan-Apr, another May-Aug, and the other Sep-Dec where there are three wards)
  • Organize security measures (locking of the building, opening the building)
  • Serve as point of contact for the building who then coordinates with the stake PFR for any maintenance or other work to be done by the FM group.
  • Assign a building scheduler who will fill that role in the online Calendar.
Those are just some ideas; I've seen some stakes where stake leaders take on some of those responsibilities, but hopefully that can get you started. Unless it's a brand-new building, chances are that someone has had these responsibilities previously, so it would be good to consult with them, too.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
kisaac
Community Moderators

Post by kisaac »

I think you mean your bishop is the "agent bishop!" Your bishop needs to discuss his role with the previous agent bishop of your building because many of the agent bishop tasks are more tradition than policy, and as such they would be influenced by your stake and those other wards that share your building.

See thisolder threadfor some more discussion ideas or potential topics for your bishop to discuss. Some of the items need to happen before the new year, as well. Realize that scheduling the building probably has changed considerably since this thread was discussed.
TinMan

Post by TinMan »

As Agent Bishop, we make up a schedule for snow shoveling...

Oh wait. Raleigh NC?

Nevermind...
lehrschallbrian

Post by lehrschallbrian »

hey now it snows here. Well once maybe twice. lol
TinMan

Post by TinMan »

Sacrament cups. It got so that none of the wards would tell me when we were low. I ended up ordering an extra case and keeping it in my closet. The main supply is still in the sac prep area, but an extra case is in my office. At least my ward will never go without...

:)
ecotim

Post by ecotim »

Definitely talk to the outgoing agent bishop, as some things are building only. Since in my building we each pay for our own sacrament cups :)

I would say that scheduling would be a big part of the job, in our building thereis one ward that feels when no one is there it is free for them to use, thus wewalk in to start an activity they are there already going, or sitting in thefoyer stalking us waiting for us to leave. But then we give priority for baptisms, weddings and funerals,

I would also suggest that as part of magnifying your calling that you lookat what was done and maybe see what is lacking then go from there.

Return to “Getting Started for New Clerks”