Calendar - recurring event problems

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
markgheen

Calendar - recurring event problems

Post by markgheen »

I try to create a recurring event with a start and end date (left side of screen) then check the "This event repeats" box, which brings up "Repeating" in the 3rd (right side) colume along with several options. If I select "weekly", "1" weeks, "specific date" for 'Repeats until' then select a date, the pop-up calendar doesn't go away and I get an error that I have to fix the highlighted sections. It highlights the "1" in the "Occures every __ weeks on:". No matter what I change that number to it won't let me create the event, it just keeps posting the same error. If, however, I leave the end date on the left side the same as the start date it seems to work.--very frustrating trying to figure that out.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

markgheen wrote:I try to create a recurring event with a start and end date (left side of screen)
Silly question, (but one I keep tripping on), your start and end date should mark the start and end of a single event. For something that repeats weekly, I'd expect it to be the same day. If by mistake you've made it cover the whole year, trying to repeat it weekly isn't going to work very well.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

It looks like you're confusing the end date of each event (which appears in the left-hand column and is simply labeled "End") with the end date of the series. (which appears in the right-hand column and is labeled "End Date"). For almost all repeating events, the "Start" and "End" in the left column will be the same date, since most events last less than a day. But the "End Date" in the right column specifies the date the series of events will end (and only appears when the "Repeats until" dropdown is set to "a specific date").

Hopefully this screen shot will help make that clear.
repeat.jpg
(17.54 KiB) Downloaded 14 times
The "End Date" field is circled in blue -- that's the one that you need to set in order to specify when the series of events ends.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.

Return to “Calendar”