Viewing rights mobile apps

Discussions about the Ward Directory and Map tool on churchofjesuschrist.org.
marianomarini

Viewing rights mobile apps

Post by marianomarini »

My brother in law downloaded the TABLET SAMSUNG directory app and can view many personal data WITHOUT login, just download app and run.
No LDS Access request, no particular setup.
How can this match Church privacy policy?
La vita è una lezione interminabile di umiltà (Anonimo).
Life is a endless lesson of humility (Anonimous).
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I think he downloaded LDS Tools. While it doesn't ask for the LDS Account when you open the app, he must have entered his account information to get the data. How else would it know what ward he belonged to?
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
marianomarini

Post by marianomarini »

RussellHltn wrote:I think he downloaded LDS Tools. While it doesn't ask for the LDS Account when you open the app, he must have entered his account information to get the data. How else would it know what ward he belonged to?
Not at all. He can see all units in our Stake!
Because I rely on his words (but I have seen data without password request!), I can't be more specific.
Are you saying that at the first run he entered his LDSAccount and then the application downloaded the data and NOW they are in his tablet?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

marianomarini wrote:Are you saying that at the first run he entered his LDSAccount and then the application downloaded the data and NOW they are in his tablet?
Yes. That's how LDS Tools works for me.

At some point the data "expires" and he'll have to reconnect to lose access.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
marianomarini

Post by marianomarini »

Actually I've seen a message, when the app start, saying something like "syncrhonising data", but all is done without pass request!
Then he can see data. I'll check if they are update or not.
Thanks a lot.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

marianomarini wrote:Not at all. He can see all units in our Stake!
Because I rely on his words (but I have seen data without password request!), I can't be more specific.
Are you saying that at the first run he entered his LDSAccount and then the application downloaded the data and NOW they are in his tablet?
There is no way that what you are describing is possible. Your brother-in-law can only be seeing data for your stake if he has actually entered his LDS Account username and password into the LDS Tools mobile app at some point. His LDS Account is the only possible way that LDS Tools could determine which stake's data to download. Therefore I am 100% certain that he actually did enter his LDS Account (or the LDS Account of someone else in your stake, but of course it is most likely that it is his own LDS Account) into LDS Tools. He must have forgotten that he did that.

It is true that LDS Tools does not ask for the password each time you use the mobile app. So now that his LDS Tools has stored his LDS Account information, he can see the data without entering the password again. Indeed, as you pointed out, he can synchronize his data any time he wants without entering the password again. But he definitely did enter it once.

He can verify this by doing the following:
  1. Access the LDS Tools app on his mobile device
  2. Go to Settings on the Menu
  3. Click the Sign Out link and confirm that he wants to Sign Out and clear all data from LDS Tools.
He will then see all the data for your stake disappear. The very fact that that Sign Out option appears will be very good evidence that he actually did sign in at some point.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
madacan

Post by madacan »

He would have to have entered his lds.org login information at some time, whether it was within the LDS Tools application, or somewhere within Samsung's program. Alternatively, it may also be pulling that data from some cache that has been made on the phone previously (but I don't know if the android OS or LDS Tools for Android allow caching like that). I would think and hope, as previous posts have related, that even viewing the cached data would "time out" after at most a few weeks and require re-authentication to the website to view any of that data, from any application.
lisaan
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by lisaan »

Directory will allow you to see all the units and members in your stake or district. The only restriction placed on that is that children under 18 in other units in the stake will not be visible to you. This is by design.
QA Engineer
marianomarini

Post by marianomarini »

LisaAn wrote:Directory will allow you to see all the units and members in your stake or district. The only restriction placed on that is that children under 18 in other units in the stake will not be visible to you. This is by design.
Thanks.
So I suppose that he did enter his LDSAccess in some point.
I'll follow the 3 points indicated by aebrown.

Return to “Ward Directory and Map”