Individual not showing up in calling reports

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
opee

Individual not showing up in calling reports

Post by opee »

I have searched the Forum for a previous thread on this topic, but did not find one:

We have a "Ward Mission Leader" that is not showing up in the ward's "Officers Sustained List", nor on the Stake side (Officers List or Ward Leadership). We checked the ward MLS and it appears that the "Ward Mission Leader" calling in the list of callings is the "default" one, but when you put a person in the calling it will not update in the Sustained List, nor on the Stake side of MLS--it just shows blank.

We did the following:
(1) Removed the individual, did a Send/Receive, then added an individual back, and did a Send/Receive that did not work

I am wondering if someone deleted the calling and then reentered it. Maybe MLS thinks that it is a Custom Calling, and is not linking to the appropriate reports now--but I could not find it in the Custom Callings list.

Any suggestions on how to get the WML to show up on the Officers Sustained List and Ward Leadership lists?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I tried it out on my test system. It did show up in the Ward Conference form. The calling name is "Mission Leader" and it's found under "Miscellaneous".
opee

Post by opee »

RussellHltn wrote:I tried it out on my test system. It did show up in the Ward Conference form. The calling name is "Mission Leader" and it's found under "Miscellaneous".

So if I change the calling name to "Mission Leader" instead of "Ward Mission Leader", it should show up?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I was giving another data point. My original thought was that if your listing is different, then maybe it really is a custom position.

But, it's possible the real problem is that you've gone though MLS upgrades. My test system is one that's been installed more recently so it's gone though fewer upgrades. Somewhere along the line, that calling might have changed titles and that's why the current version of MLS can't find that position for it's report.

You might try looking to see if that calling is already there in the place I've described it (I know in the past more then a few clerks have created custom positions because they couldn't find what they were looking for.) You might try delete the person and then the calling. Or you might try created a custom calling with that title in the place I've described. At this point, experimentation is in order. After that, a call to support.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

opee wrote:So if I change the calling name to "Mission Leader" instead of "Ward Mission Leader", it should show up?

Yes. There are several callings in MLS that have special meaning. These callings are in MLS by default and they cannot be deleted or renamed. "Mission Leader" is one of these callings (Bishop, President & counselors of most organizations, and several others as well). If people are assigned to those special callings, then they will properly appear on the Officers Sustained form.

Several of these special callings are also communicated to the stake and appear on the Ward Leadership report in Stake MLS. Wards should be aware of this and not change these callings. For example, in our stake, one of the wards added positions to the Relief Society presidency of "Education Counselor" and "Homemaking Counselor", rather than using the standard "1st Counselor" and "2nd Counselor". When Stake MLS printed the ward leadership for that ward, it appeared as if the RS president had no counselors.

One final note: MLS will allow you to create custom positions that match built-in positions exactly in spelling. For example, if a ward adds a position called "Mission Leader" (even though a built-in position exists by that name), there will be no complaint. If that calling is then assigned to a member rather than the built-in position, then the member will not show up on the Officers Sustained form. You can tell if this is the case by going to the Custom Positions page for the organization in question; in this case, if the Other Callings organization has a custom position called "Mission Leader" then you should delete that position and use the built-in position instead. Otherwise you will be hopelessly confused.

The moral of the story is: always use built-in calling names in MLS whenever they are available.
Skyhawk-p40

Post by Skyhawk-p40 »

Alan_Brown wrote:The moral of the story is: always use built-in calling names in MLS whenever they are available.
Couldn't have said it better myself!! :)
jeromer7

Post by jeromer7 »

Alan_Brown wrote:Yes. There are several callings in MLS that have special meaning. ... If people are assigned to those special callings, then they will properly appear on the Officers Sustained form.
Well, sorta. I sent a message to support through MLS messaging a few months back indentifying the fact that the Stake Clerk and any Assistant Clerks identified in the Organizations section of MLS do not populate in the Officers Sustained - Stake form. I have verified this is still a problem in 2.7.3.
JLR
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

JLRose wrote:Well, sorta. I sent a message to support through MLS messaging a few months back indentifying the fact that the Stake Clerk and any Assistant Clerks identified in the Organizations section of MLS do not populate in the Officers Sustained - Stake form. I have verified this is still a problem in 2.7.3.

You may well be experiencing such a problem with your MLS system, but I would note that we have had no such problems with our version. At least when we last had a stake conference we were on MLS 2.7.x (I don't recall exactly which sub-version), and the Stake Clerk and assistant Stake Clerks came through just fine on the Officers Sustained - Stake form. I'll check it out on our MLS 2.8 beta tonight to make sure it's still working properly there.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

Alan_Brown wrote:... when we last had a stake conference we were on MLS 2.7.x (I don't recall exactly which sub-version), and the Stake Clerk and assistant Stake Clerks came through just fine on the Officers Sustained - Stake form. I'll check it out on our MLS 2.8 beta tonight to make sure it's still working properly there.

Indeed, MLS 2.8 also works properly in this regard -- all appropriate stake callings in the MLS Organizations area are included on the Officers Sustained - Stake form.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

JLRose wrote:Well, sorta. I sent a message to support through MLS messaging a few months back indentifying the fact that the Stake Clerk and any Assistant Clerks identified in the Organizations section of MLS do not populate in the Officers Sustained - Stake form. I have verified this is still a problem in 2.7.3.

Did you explicitly check the Custom Positions section of the Stake Presidency organization in MLS to see if there were any custom positions involved? I have seen wards and stakes unwittingly create a custom position called "Ward Clerk" or "Stake Clerk" when the proper position name is simply "Clerk".

Often there are several people who may make such modifications, so without checking the Custom Positions specifically, you can't be sure it was done properly. Also, some of these organizational changes may have been done long ago, even before MLS had an Officers Sustained form, so there may have been no way to see that there was a problem at that time, and the custom positions have simply been carried forward over the years.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”