Calendar Error - Double booking has occurred!

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Calendar Error - Double booking has occurred!

Post by jdlessley »

I am surprised to see a double booking!

Scenario: I created a single event about ten days ago on a public ward calendar. The event is scheduled as follows:
  • Date: 13 November 2012
  • Time: 7:00 pm to 8:00 pm with 30 min setup and 60 min cleanup (6:30 - 9:00 pm)
  • Rooms & Equipment: Cultural Hall 1, Cultural Hall 2, & Serving Area
Some time within the past few days the building scheduler with editor rights to a public ward calendar for private events created a recurring event. That event is scheduled as follows:
  • Date: Recurring every week on Tuesdays beginning on 2 October 2012 for 12 occurrences. This includes 13 November 2012.
  • Time 7:00 pm to 8:30 pm with 30 min setup and 0 min cleanup (6:30 - 8:30 pm)
  • Rooms & Equipment: entire location
I have not been able to speak with the building scheduler's husband yet. He created the recurring event for the building scheduler at a work computer using her LDS Account credentials (She only has IE 8 on her home computer & was not able to use the calendar.).

Below are screen shots of both events in the event details screen. I am an administrator so the details are presented in the edit window.
Single Event.jpg
(76.53 KiB) Downloaded 44 times
This image is the single event I created.
Recurring Event.jpg
(85.56 KiB) Downloaded 44 times
This image is the recurring event the building scheduler created.

I carefully checked to see if the location was truly the same location. They are. There is only one location titled Stony Point for our stake. The building scheduler and I are in the same ward.

In the thread Reservation Issue - Rooms in use are able to be double booked there is a somewhat similar issue. In that thread the building scheduler was able to create two conflicting reservations. The correlation I draw is that in both situations it is a building scheduler that is able to create conflicting reservations and conflicting events.

It would nice to hear from other building schedulers testing these scenarios. Of course the building scheduler will have to be an editor for a calendar to test the double booking event scenario.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Interesting that in both cases reported one event is a "whole facility".

Edit: Have you reported this? Since this is an event this seems like a serious bug.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

I have reported the issue to the developers.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

Just this last week we had a double booking in our stake. The first event was booked by a building scheduler (who is also a ward calendar administrator), but the second was booked by a calendar administrator (not a building scheduler) in another ward. Neither event booked the entire building (unlike the issue in the thread Reservation Issue - Rooms in use are able to be double booked, although that thread deals with reservations, not events). I checked very closely, and both events scheduled the cultural hall (one event also scheduled another room) in the same building. Indeed, neither event can be edited and saved (even if you don't change any details) because the other event is reported as a conflict.

In this case, the second event (which is the critical one, of course) was not created by a building scheduler, so that would seem to weaken the theory that the problem occurs only with building schedulers. Note also that both events were single non-repeating events, and no reservations of any kind existed on the date of the conflict.

I reported that issue privately to a developer, but have not heard back. At the time, I assumed it was a very isolated circumstance, but apparently it's not quite as rare as I thought.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.

Return to “Calendar”