Roku Mormon Channel Issues

Discussions on how emerging technology can assist the distribution of media content through mobile, kiosks, Internet, social networks, etc.
chris.wells

Roku Mormon Channel Issues

Post by chris.wells »

I just picked up a Roku LT for this conference and so far, I love it! I really appreciate the work being done to make the Mormon Channel available on the Roku system, but I have a couple of things that might be made better.

First, it appears as though the item that you must select to enter into the conference stream from the Mormon Channel main menu continues to say "Saturday Morning" for what appears to be each remaining session. I don't know how easy it is to change this for each session, but in following with the simplicity and ease of use that is expected with the Roku device I think the name of the stream should be renamed for each session. If that is too much of a hassle, then the name should be changed to better reflect what the menu item represents, (i.e. General Conference -- LIVE).

Lastly, I don't know if it is just my setup, but the audio gain seems to be set a little too high on all Mormon Channel content. I watch from many other sources on my Roku and the volume seems fine. When I watch any content on the Mormon Channel I find that the audio seems to be very loud. I have to turn down the volume of my TV quite a bit and even then I can hear the audio being overdriven and distorting(during choir presentations for example).

Again, I love the ability to get all this content and I don't wish to complain. I simply want to help the church represent itself in the best way possible.

Thanks!
GrasseDD

Post by GrasseDD »

Hi, Chris--
Same story--in a new place without conference on tv, and bought a box Friday. Best viewing experience I've ever had with conference. Yes, it is a little odd having the "Saturday morning" tag on the stream. I also sort of expected (hoped) that each stream would be available afterward, like online.
I didn't have any audio problems, or notice any distortion or clipping.
With internet available in more meetinghouses, a Roku box with each tv would be really useful. I would love to see the Gospel Art Kit included in Mormon Channel, or some genius make them available on their own Roku channel.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

GrasseDD,

This is actually not very hard and is something I've done in my meetinghouses. You can see this thread https://tech.lds.org/forum/showthread.p ... ht=plexapp for various opinions about it.
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
JonesRC
Church Employee
Church Employee

Roku Issues

Post by JonesRC »

Thank you all for the feedback. Were you watching on Mormon Channel or the Live Broadcast Channel? What time were you watching? Were you watching the HD or SD Feed? Was your box wired or wireless. Just trying to gather a few more facts about some of the same issues. Thank you.

Return to “Digital Media”